Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 7:07:05 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

I'll be on the Kewaunee river this weekend for Labor Day. Read reviews about trout and salmon run in the fall. Anyone have experiences fishing this area?

Read up on Scarboro Creek and Little Scarboro Creek. Might try those.

Sponsor
p_gundlach  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 9:04:33 AM(UTC)
p_gundlach

Man

I'm going to speak based on virtually no experience up there; I did try fishing the Kewaunee in the very late fall one year, and I drove over a spot or two on Scarboro.

That said, if I were heading up that way, I'd try to keep my expectations in check. I suspect it is still too early for any real activity to be happening from lake-run fish in the Kewaunee. Maybe a straggler or two, but I'd think that you are at least a couple weeks too early.

Regarding the Scarboro's. . . from what I remember seeing, it might be a stretch to find fishable water. It looked pretty gnarly and overgrown from what I saw, and this time of year, it could be a terror.

Don't let me discourage you though. . . I really have no idea for sure. But wanted to at least respond.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2015 12:09:18 PM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

p_gundlach wrote:
I'm going to speak based on virtually no experience up there; I did try fishing the Kewaunee in the very late fall one year, and I drove over a spot or two on Scarboro.

That said, if I were heading up that way, I'd try to keep my expectations in check. I suspect it is still too early for any real activity to be happening from lake-run fish in the Kewaunee. Maybe a straggler or two, but I'd think that you are at least a couple weeks too early.

Regarding the Scarboro's. . . from what I remember seeing, it might be a stretch to find fishable water. It looked pretty gnarly and overgrown from what I saw, and this time of year, it could be a terror.

Don't let me discourage you though. . . I really have no idea for sure. But wanted to at least respond.

It is all good! Any reviews will be helpful. Thank you!

I dont plan to hit salmon. Just will be around that area with family so I figured I'll go scouting for trout if near any. Reviews online say Scarboro is pretty good so maybe hit that for some brookies.
Gabe S  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 7:05:12 AM(UTC)
Gabe S

Man

Haven't fished Scarboro yet, and I haven't seen any Chinook in the Branch River as of yesterday, which is pretty far up the Manitowoc River, so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by user Monday, September 7, 2015 7:06:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Non facis condonas bonitatem ut consequs triumphum.
Do not sacrifice integrity in order to gain victory.
newflyguy920  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2015 1:26:27 PM(UTC)
newflyguy920

was by foot bridge and by harbor yesterday. no one is catching anythin g yet. maybe the rain and cooling off this week will get them started.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:54:05 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

I fished the Kewaunee River during labor day weekend and caught a good amount of chubs! Some Common Shiners and some stone rollers. Caught 1 rainbow, but as I tried to take a pic, it slipped out of my hand. Water was warm, shallow, but clear.

I dropped by 2 access points on the Little Scarsboro and it wasn't too great. Water was real shallow. Plus, its quite thick into the woods. I tried to find some pools or pockets, but I didn't have time to walk the stream.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:55:11 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Gabe S wrote:
Haven't fished Scarboro yet, and I haven't seen any Chinook in the Branch River as of yesterday, which is pretty far up the Manitowoc River, so take that with a grain of salt.

Thanks Gabe! I plan to fish the Branch this fall. Maybe I'll see you there.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:56:19 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

newflyguy920 wrote:
was by foot bridge and by harbor yesterday. no one is catching anythin g yet. maybe the rain and cooling off this week will get them started.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the rain will help.
Gabe S  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:07:56 PM(UTC)
Gabe S

Man

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
Gabe S wrote:

Thanks Gabe! I plan to fish the Branch this fall. Maybe I'll see you there.

Anytime! I've got info on a few trout streams in the area as well as the Branch if your interested.
Non facis condonas bonitatem ut consequs triumphum.
Do not sacrifice integrity in order to gain victory.