Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:21:14 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
The Milwaukee area got a deluge of much needed rain this morning. How did the Driftless Area do? Any reports?

I expect a number of streams could use a good flushing out about now. Injecting some cooler water into the system after all this heat couldn't hurt the Trout bite either I'd think.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
trapper  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:58:58 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Westby got 2 1/2 inches
John Deere dealership between Westby and Viroqua got 4 inches

West Fork was out of its banks at eleven am Tuesday
Pictures available at www.facebook.com/avalancheareaoutdoorsports
Get Reel
HookJaw  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:38:35 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

My rain guage reported 3.5" ...didn't believe it 'til I looked down at the creek. (BLOWN)

Viola got 3" on the south side of town.

I counted 3 big surges of BUCKETS of rain.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 8, 2015 9:42:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2015 10:56:21 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

The high water should help knock down tall grass along the stream banks and flush out some of the weed choked streams. Fishing after a heavy rain event usually is pretty good. Couple that with the forecast of cooler weather through the weekend, and it could be a great time to fish.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MikeJuran  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2015 11:39:36 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

my rain gauge in Chaseburg recorded 3.25 inches ... Coon creek is almost out of its banks and complete chocolate .... but it is the main feeder that grabs all the water from rullands, timber, spring coulee, bohemian .... good to get a blow out and clear some of the silt .... one stretch of a creek has had a stretch of quick sand recently that always used to be rock solid bottom .... And fortunately not the 7" they got up north (again)....
Fly Me A River
fish4life  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2015 12:57:13 PM(UTC)
fish4life

Well I am looking to go 9-10 and the 11th thursday friday how do you thinkj its going to look?
Who got hit the hardest North ? south? If it all works out could be great fishing.

thanks for any feedback.

Fish4life
>>~}}}}}}'>
MikeJuran  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:26:57 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

fish4life wrote:
Well I am looking to go 9-10 and the 11th thursday friday how do you thinkj its going to look?
Who got hit the hardest North ? south? If it all works out could be great fishing.

thanks for any feedback.

Fish4life

smaller feeders and headwaters should be fine (althought we got another quick downpour last nite for 20 minutes of really hard rain)....... should be a good stain and with some cloud cover could be good.
Fly Me A River
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:56:35 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Do not fear the dirty water!

Although most streams should be running clear to slightly stained by tomorrow. The larger rivers will likely still be running with higher volume and some mud. Seek out the shorter tribs and upstream sections and you'll find clear water.

-Bill
DanE  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:43:19 AM(UTC)
DanE

William Schlafer wrote:
Do not fear the dirty water!

Although most streams should be running clear to slightly stained by tomorrow. The larger rivers will likely still be running with higher volume and some mud. Seek out the shorter tribs and upstream sections and you'll find clear water.

-Bill

Yeah, what he said! Seriously though, as a prime example, I fished Norwegian Hollow a couple years back immediately after an overnight, 1 inch rain. The South Fork of the Bad Axe was blown out, and even the lower sections of Norwegian was muddy. We went upstream and it had a moderate, but fishable stain. By the time we were finished fishing 3 hours later it was almost totally clear.