Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 11:16:15 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:

I've paired these waders with Simms Freestone boots which have really held up well over the last three seasons. It took a few outings to get them loosened up, but they really protect your ankles and feet from anything you might encounter. My backup Cabelas boots feel wimpy by comparison. The tread on the Freestones looks a bit weak, but I've never had a problem slipping on rocks or getting a good grip walking the banks. Wish I would've gotten these a couple seasons earlier and not wasted my money on cheaper boots. I've tried on the new Simms Vapor boots in the store, and they are really comfortable too.
UserPostedImage
-Bill

Bill, I hate to be a doubting Thomas but I believe your first post about the Simms Freestones was in February of 2014 which would put those boots at two seasons of use.

Here is proof- Willam Schlafer's Post about Simms Freestone Wading Boots from February of 2014.

That being said they look awfully good for two seasons of use.

-Eddie
Board Moderator and Anal Fact Checker
ThumpUp
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2015 5:27:57 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
EddieRivard wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

I've paired these waders with Simms Freestone boots which have really held up well over the last three seasons. It took a few outings to get them loosened up, but they really protect your ankles and feet from anything you might encounter. My backup Cabelas boots feel wimpy by comparison. The tread on the Freestones looks a bit weak, but I've never had a problem slipping on rocks or getting a good grip walking the banks. Wish I would've gotten these a couple seasons earlier and not wasted my money on cheaper boots. I've tried on the new Simms Vapor boots in the store, and they are really comfortable too.
UserPostedImage
-Bill

Bill, I hate to be a doubting Thomas but I believe your first post about the Simms Freestones was in February of 2014 which would put those boots at two seasons of use.

Here is proof- Willam Schlafer's Post about Simms Freestone Wading Boots from February of 2014.

That being said they look awfully good for two seasons of use.

-Eddie
Board Moderator and Anal Fact Checker
ThumpUp

I stand corrected! It just felt like three seasons. Us older guys have trouble keeping track of time.

The pic above is when they were new. However, they are still in great shape after a couple of seasons of hard pounding. A little wear around the collar, a few scratches here and there, replaced the laces a few times. I should get at least two or three more seasons out of them, which makes them a great value I think.

I'll never buy another pair of cheap boots again.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 5:18:32 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Here's an update on my Simms Freestone boots. After three seasons of heavy use, they're holding up remarkably well with no sign of excessive wear or deterioration. I estimate I've got at least 80 outings on these boots.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I clean my boots thoroughly after every outing, removing the laces and the insoles and drying them on a boot dryer. I think this helps keep them in good shape.

The only sign of wear is a little discoloration around the top opening - see photo above. But no wear though or failure of the lining itself. All seams and threaded parts are tight and intact.

The Freestones are still quite comfortable and even hold up well during long walks back to the car on asphalt or gravel roads. These things are truly bullet proof. Rocks, fencing and brush are not match for these tanks. The provide rock solid protection for your feet, and are easily worth the $150 list cost. I wouldn't be surprised to get another three seasons out of these boots.

Highly recommended!

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, October 17, 2016 5:19:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
TheFadingAngler  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 5:55:04 PM(UTC)
TheFadingAngler

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Gerrber wrote:
I bought a pair of Simms Vapor boots, supposedly their lightweight, long hike model. I have about 100 hours in them so far and couldn't be happier, very lightweight, stable, and comfy on long walks. They beat the tar out of the Korkers boots I use for work. A few online reviews I read prior to purchase brought up durability, so far I've beat them up pretty good and haven't seen much wear or tear.

Ditto on the Simms Vapor boots after 3 years. Light, great for longer hikes, not cheap but not super expensive. Starting to lighten in color (dark gray is lightening) and a little wear on the rear lip of the opening. Wife also has a pair, in the nice teal blue trim.

Fairly happy with my Orvis Silver Sonic "convertible" waders. Three clips drop the top from chest-high to waist high. Most of the time these are too hot for me, even dropped.

Trapper, don't you have a pair of the Patagonia pants? Thoughts on those?
Skimmer  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 9:17:09 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Redington sonic pro. Season 3 complete still dry plus 3 days of duck hunting. My boots blew up but they're still usable. Feeling high and dry at the end of another great season
mjager0  
#16 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 9:29:32 PM(UTC)
mjager0

Man

I just finished my third season with my Simms headwaters waders, they have an entire bottle of aquaseal on them and still leak in 4 or more places, I should have replaced them last year, as this year I didn't come home once dry, everytime I find and patch a leak another one shows up, it seems like all the seams just gave out at once. On the other hand I've had my Simms guide boots for either 4 or 5 seasons, and besides needing new laces they are still going strong.
- Matt
Instagram