Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 7:51:59 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Anyone familiar with this water? Pretty sure it's a warm water fishery...didn't see any signs stating elsewhere.

Just happened upon a pull off/easement area on both sides of Hwy 39 east of Hallandale yesterday. Scoped it out a bit but didn't fish much. Was hoping for a northern or something but I really don't know the Pecatonica that well.
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 9:54:05 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
You mean Hollandale (near Dodgeville)? I've fished its tribs further upstream for trout, but not the river itself. The locals say that there are Smallmouth Bass to be had. Check the WDNR website for public acess and easements.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
TylerM  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:52:19 AM(UTC)
TylerM

The Pecatonica River is an interesting fishery. I have had success with Walleye, Northern, and Smallmouth in the past. About 5 years ago, I was fishing in the actual River casting a crankbait around this time of year. I hooked into a solid fish, but didn't know what it was other than strong. I battled the fish until it was close to shore before it elevated out of the water, and freed itself from the hook. To my amazement, it was the biggest brown that I've had on the line. Last Spring, a buddy of mine caught a 20'' rainbow in the Pecatonica early in the year.
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 11:01:52 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I actually fished the East Branch of the Pecatonica for the first time today upstream from Hollandale.

This is not a classified stream according to the current regs and this: WI Trout Maps

That said, all I saw were brownies. No bass or pike where I was.

Caught a few brownies with the biggest being about a 12-er. Immediately released them except for one quick photo of a November legal(ish) brownie. I asked the DNR if it's legal to fish unclassified streams out of season and they said that it is as long as you release any out of season fish.

Could have had 4 times as many, but most were nibblers and chasers today - which from my experience is rare. Usually they hammer. Several followed right to my boots before turning away.

Nice cold stream and the spot where I actually got in had a solid bottom with small rocks and sand. No aquatic plants whatsoever though, which might be why it's unclassified.

There are a few easements down by Hollandale that are classified, so make sure you know where you are if you go out of season.

Anyway - gorgeous day if it was my last time out in 2016 and nice to have a viable option while my favorite streams are closed.

Is it January yet? :D

Edited by user Monday, November 7, 2016 11:05:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Your mother had a tongue like a trout!
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2016 3:06:40 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Word of clarification about the easements near Hollandale...

The river is still unclassified there, so you can fish it anytime that regular fishing season is open.

Hit it today and didn't find any trout - just one average sized smallie.

Really nice water with sand bottom where I went.

Caught a couple brownies further upstream, but the fish were dormant for the most part today. High pressure system usually makes them that way.
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 6:26:20 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Went one last time today.

Overall the unclassified sections of streams in this area including the East Branch and Dodge Branch have some brownies, but they are sparse enough that it's a lot of work to find many let alone catch them.

I am grateful for the one last fish I got today (East Branch off Mill Dam Road), but I'm done until January when I can go back to my favorite and far more productive classified streams.

Was fun to get out a few more times and take advantage of this mild fall though.
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2016 5:51:29 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Yeah... I'm just gonna forgo declaring myself done for the year until the year is up.

Did the East Branch today and got 4.

Another nice fall morning. This year has been a real treat.

Could hear shots in the distance, but fished near bridges and roads so as to not be in the crosshairs.