Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages 123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Tied Flies Options
William Schlafer
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:04:03 PM Quote

I've been keeping busy this fall attempting to tie some flies. Trying to build up my skills and attempt some patterns a bit more complex than just Pink Squirrels and simple dry flies. It's not as easy as the pros make it look!

Here's some large articulated flies, some standard Olive and Black buggers and some variations of large conehead streamers I tied this week.

This one turned out pretty well, a twist on Kelly Galloup's Peanut Envy. Should have lots of action in the water with the Marabou and long rubber legs. Not sure how often I might toss a 6" long fly, but it should be fun dragging this thing through some deep holes and pockets seeking out Mr. Big Brown Trout.

This Autumn Splendor Streamer didn't turn out as nice as I hoped. Some better hackle feathers I have on order should help. Nice color pattern though.

This Baby Brown didn't work out at all. I need some beefier hackle in the right colors and some stiffer, fuller feather materials for the tail. But it is a fun one to tie.

I don't remember what this abortion was supposed to be. Took a long time to tie and the wrong size and type feathers didn't help. Might be worth fishing though. It could piss off the big Trout enough to strike, instead of just attracting them. Look away, I'm hideous!

The voyage continues...

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
FryinPanDan
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:15:21 PM Quote

That Peanut Envy one looks like s $12 fly from a store! Really nice.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
William Schlafer
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 6:26:48 PM Quote

FryinPanDan wrote:
That Peanut Envy one looks like s $12 fly from a store! Really nice.

Thanks. Might be one of the few flies I tie that actually saves me money! Some longer saddle hackle would sure help. I was thinking of trying a smaller version of this, with size 6 & 8 hooks that match my available feather stock a little better. The articulated sections should make for some nice action when fast stripped through a pool.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Wildvein
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2015 1:40:15 AM Quote

I could probably fill a small box of flies i've tied that I've finished and looked at.. and said, what the hell is that? Its funny how you can mess up one thing and the rest of the fly kinda spirals downward. That being said, sometimes the fish like the ugly ones :)

All of those, Bill, look like they will fish quite well.
DanE
#5 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 1:33:16 PM Quote

Nice job Bill! I bet even the "abortion" will catch fish. It's also a great name for a fly, and I am pretty sure it hasn't been taken yet. ThumpUp
William Schlafer
#6 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 4:54:41 PM Quote

DanE wrote:
Nice job Bill! I bet even the "abortion" will catch fish. It's also a great name for a fly, and I am pretty sure it hasn't been taken yet. ThumpUp

A friend suggested calling it the "Cosmo Kramer." Big, unkempt and goofy looking.

-Bill
kinni
#7 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 6:12:32 PM Quote

Those all look awesome and remember, the more confidence you have in fishing them, the better they will produce!
MikeJuran
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:20:22 PM Quote

Nice looking flies bill .... those will hunt ...

Sent a dozen green turd variations down to my bro-in-law in Arkansas as he found a guide down there was using something very similar to FryinPanDan's interpretation. I have been playing with them as well this past year with success (i think if its green, it sinks and its turdy, it catches fish)..... here is last nite's creations before half-time during the bengals/texan's monday nite game .....

Fly Me A River
William Schlafer
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 10:08:14 PM Quote

Been keeping busy filling up my fly boxes.

Here's some more of my version of the Peanut Envy, except these are smaller with size 6 & 8 hooks instead of the size 2s of the originals. These came out about 4" in length, which I think may be more appropriate size for the small streams I prefer to fish. I also added some lead wire wraps to the front hook to give it a little more heft. I like the Autumn brown and yellow version. Will be tying a few more of those I think.

Is it possible to have too many Wooly Buggers?

Or for that matter, too many Pink Squirrels? I think not!

-Bill

weiliwen
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 10:46:50 PM Quote

Well, you won't have to wonder if you're getting deep enough - snag one and hey! you've got several dozen more!