Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

24 Pages«<222324
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#231 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2019 7:07:59 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Back at the tying bench.

Next season I want to fish dry flies more often. So last night I tied up some mayfly style patterns. This is an extended body Light Cahill imitation following a Tim Flagler pattern.

UserPostedImage

The beauty of this pattern is it's simplicity and minimal materials required to tie it. A scud hook, thread, a single Mallard Flank feather, Para Post Poly for a wing, and some Superfine Dubbing for the thorax. The feather forms the body and the seductive up swept split tail. Easy and fun to tie. This one is in size 12, but I will tie some smaller versions if I can find some proportionally sized feathers.

I fished a similar split tail pattern last summer and did well with it. The fly sits up well in the film and is reasonably durable. I also tied a few using Lemon Wood Duck feathers to provide a bit of variety in color and size.

Here's another one, but with darker gray dubbing to give it a different look. Getting the dubbing to wrap correctly is half the battle with this pattern. I didn't do a great job with this one, but I doubt it will matter too much once it gets wet.
UserPostedImage

Another Flagler pattern is this Isonychia Mayfly pattern.
UserPostedImage

The Isonychia is a well know eastern Trout pattern, but I feel like it will fish well here in the Midwest also. It's a basically a just a parachute Adams with purple-ish body dubbing. The Flagler video for this one is good to learn tying techniques from. His skill and detail are unmatched. Using the bare quill of the hackle in the wing post is brilliant and effective.

UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
stan b on 11/18/2019(UTC), Z4c64 on 11/19/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#232 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2019 8:56:12 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I've been cleaning up and restocking my fly boxes for the upcoming 2020 season.

In the spring, I like to carry a couple fly boxes dedicated for just streamers: one for large patterns, and another for the smaller stuff.

UserPostedImage

The one on the left holds my articulated and single hook versions of Crayfish, Sculpin, Silk Kitty, Baitfish and other big streamers for days and places that I think I might run into a large Trout. The other box holds smaller versions of Woolly Buggers, Leeches, jig heads and other smaller offerings. All of these are flies I've tied.

Some patterns I'm looking forward to trying out this coming season:

Rusty Crayfish
UserPostedImage

Galloups Silk Kitty
UserPostedImage

Small Sculpin/Minnow
UserPostedImage

The Super Bugger (my own design)
UserPostedImage

Soft Hackle Streamer
UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#233 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2019 8:48:37 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Here's a few more streamers I tied up this morning.

UserPostedImage

A couple of smaller Sculpin single hook streamers and The Mini Dungeon, a downsized version of Kelly Galloups popular Sex Dungeon articulated streamer.
UserPostedImage

I didn't have the best barred marabou that the pattern called for, but I think this will work OK. At only 2 1/2" I really like the size of this streamer. A better option for the smaller streams I prefer to fish.

-Bill
OTC_MN  
#234 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 4:07:07 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Great looking bugs. I love the mini-Dungeon. Great size, can throw it on a 4W, and fish eat 'em. I like the silk kitty a lot too. I tie a soft hackle streamer that's similar to yours too. Basically a big messy wet fly, but they sure work.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#235 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 8:11:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Made a trip to the fly shop on Black Friday to take advantage of some sale stuff and pick up the proper materials for tying the Mini Dungeon. This one turned out much nicer than my previous efforts.

UserPostedImage

Tied this one with size 4 hook in front, and a size 6 in the rear. The proper barred marabou really provides for that striping and mottled look that Sculpins have. I overdid the yellow marabou tail and will trim that down in the next effort.

Not crowding the hook eye with the dumbbell head to leave enough space to spin the deer hair is critical. I'm getting a bit better at getting that right and forming the head properly. It's too easy to overdo trimming and ending up with a too small head. A bit of a learning curve with this one, but it gets better after five or six.

Also, GSP thread really makes streamer patterns like this one much easier to tie. The stuff is really strong and gives just a bit, and lays flat making applying materials to the hook much easier. GSP thread is worth the extra money.

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, November 30, 2019 8:28:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added GSP thread text