Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages«<141516
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#151 Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2017 6:51:52 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
Love those articulated streamers.

What do you use for the collars on your Squirrels? Chenille?

Thanks!

I follow the original Bethke pattern for my Pink Squirrels (with a few minor changes) using Shrimp PInk Chenille in size medium. I also like using the heavier TMC 2457 Scud hook, instead of the lighter Daiichi 1130. Dubbing is my own mix of Red Fox, Grey Squirrel and some sparkly Antron fibers to bind it together and give it some flash. I don't bother with a wire wrap, but do use Tungsten bead heads as they help get the bug quickly down to where the Trout are. A drop of Loon Water Based Head Cement under the Chenille knot and a few whip finish ties behind the bead head binds everything down well.

Works well on Trout of all sizes!
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:02:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added photo

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
IL.flyfisher  
#152 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 1:03:14 AM(UTC)
IL.flyfisher

The flies and streamers look great. I tie the bugger with the cone head and wire also. What do you cast those with? Rod/line/leader/tippet. The streamers I tie would be better suited for a spinning rod.
William Schlafer  
#153 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:02:11 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IL.flyfisher Go to Quoted Post
The flies and streamers look great. I tie the bugger with the cone head and wire also. What do you cast those with? Rod/line/leader/tippet. The streamers I tie would be better suited for a spinning rod.

My Buggers are tied with 12-16 wraps of wire so they tend to be on the heavy side. I like all my flies to get down quickly and I've had good success with that. Normally fish a 4W Carbon XL (medium fast) with 4X WF fly line. This last season I fished 3X leaders chopped down to 6-7 feet with a tippet ring and then 4X tippet to extend out to 8 feet total length. This worked much better than the furled leaders that I used last year. Better casts, control and accuracy. I also like to aggressively strip and jerk the retrieve streamers. I might miss a few strikes from passive fish, but it really gets the bigger ones attention.

For dry flies & terrestrials I move down to a 4X leader with either 4X or 5X tippet. The exception is for hoppers were I run a shorter rig with 3X leader/tippet. The heavier line makes it easier to pull the fly off the weeds. Strikes often come within moments of the hopper hitting the water, so they're never spooked by the heavier line.

I once watched a guy casting large Buggers with a spin rod at a very large pool below a dam. He even added an egg sinker with a split shot at one point. He was plucking Small Mouth Bass out with every other cast.

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:03:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: grammer

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos