Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

19 Pages«<16171819>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
OTC_MN  
#171 Posted : Friday, February 2, 2018 11:49:44 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SquareEgg Go to Quoted Post

Bill, care to share what light/glue you ended up going with?
I want to buy a light and adhesive soon and have been shopping around.

Not Bill, but... I ended up with an Amazon gift card from Christmas, and decided to get something I would normally not get with it - so I bought one of the Loon Infiniti Lights. I use resin a lot, and I'd dropped my cheapo light one too many times. Had to shake it to get it to work, it'd flicker, and it positively *ate* batteries. Still, I was feeling kind of dumb about ordering the Loon light afterwards. Spending $60 on a stupid flashlight...

And then I used it.

Holy crap is that thing money. Cures resin in seconds (an epoxy back on a Copper John takes about 5 seconds) and it's rock hard, no tack, no clouding. Most of the lights out there - even the spendier ones - are 3w. The Infiniti light is 10w. Rechargeable besides, so no batteries. The thing rocks.

Knowing what I know now, I think I'd buy it gift card or not.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#172 Posted : Saturday, February 3, 2018 12:25:27 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post
Have you tried pine squirrel strips instead of rabbit on smaller flies? I actually prefer them.

In fact, I have some pine squirrel strips sitting on my tying bench right now. Just waiting for the work week to end so I can get home and indulge in some fly tying during this crappy weather spell. Just wish that UV glue and light I ordered on Amazon would show up. I just couldn't see spending $60 on a UV flashlight at the fly shop.

Soft hackle feathers in the preferred colors are in short supply right now too. I picked up some in light tan and olive and will give them a go this weekend also.

-Bill

Bill, care to share what light/glue you ended up going with?
I want to buy a light and adhesive soon and have been shopping around.

Sure!

Primarily I only need the UV glue for attaching eyes to clear masks and dumbbell heads, and to seal up an occasional small head on a fly built up with thread. For everything else, Zap A Gap and Loon Water Based Head Cement gets the job done just fine.

After asking around, I decided to go with the Loon Outdoors UV Clear Finish Thin - as it sounds like it would work for most situations for me. There are a wide range of prices for UV flashlights, and not surprisingly the ones I found in the stores were on the high end. Someone told me a cheap one (with sufficient output) will work as well as anything else for light work, so I went with this one on Amazon.

As soon as they arrive and I have a chance to try them out, I'll give a report on how well they work.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#173 Posted : Sunday, February 4, 2018 6:43:31 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Attempted to tie some soft hackle flies this weekend. I picked up some Partridge hackle at my local fly shop. Bought the only two packages they had on the rack: some light Grizzly and Olive. Despite the bags being fairly large (8" x 4") after sorting I found that only a portion of of the Grizzly feathers were usable, and none of the Olive. There were also just a few feathers in the bag of the right size.

This photo illustrates the issue:
UserPostedImage

The top feather is the preferred shape and consistency to give a good hackle wrap. The bottom feather is mostly fluffy loose fibers that won't palmer very well. Most of the feathers in the bag were this type. However, these could make for good Marabou type tails for streamers - so not a total loss. After doing a bit of research on the interweb on the subject, I ordered some Partridge capes that I think will produce more usable feathers for soft hackle patterns.

With the good feathers I tied up a generic wet fly pattern using size 10 & 12 dry fly hooks and a variety of body materials and colors. A drop or two of "Hard As Nails" dressed up the head and locked the thread in place. 8/0 UNI thread in red, orange and pink worked well.
UserPostedImage

I also tried tying some using a Daiichi 1130 size 10 scud hook. I like the way these turned out, although you have to be careful not to crowd the hook eye.
UserPostedImage

I had also picked up some white rabbit fur strips and tied some small cone head streamers in the same pattern that had worked well for me earlier this year.
UserPostedImage

Tied these with Tungsten cone heads and added some wraps of lead wire to get them down in the water column. The white color should imitate bait fish.

Now all I need is some fishable weather!

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, February 5, 2018 1:46:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 2/5/2018(UTC)
SquareEgg  
#174 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 3:29:03 AM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've had a lot of vice time lately and wanted to share some recent ties. Some new to me and some tried and true.

The white and olive Fricks has been the key to the early season for me so far.

UserPostedImage

EHC. Man's best friend.

UserPostedImage

Parachute BWOs for spring time are ready.

UserPostedImage

Red dart thing.

UserPostedImage

PT nymphs that I continue to tie despite having not fished them in two years.

UserPostedImage

Balloon caddis. First time tying this pattern and have never fished one. But I love EHCs and these look like they're even more fun to fish.
UserPostedImage

I threw on some legs and realized this is just a poormans hippy stomper.

UserPostedImage

Which reminded me that my stock of hippy stompers is criminally low.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked SquareEgg for this useful post.
tenkara_guy on 2/13/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#175 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 6:49:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

EHC. Man's best friend.

UserPostedImage

Very nice! Wish my Elk Hair Caddis ties turned out like that. I should've taken up fly tying when I had younger eyes and steadier hands.

Just out of curiosity... do you ever trim the hackle on the bottom of the fly so it rides flatter on the water film? It was recommended to me to try that and I noticed refusals went down a bit when I modded my flies that way.

-Bill

SquareEgg  
#176 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 7:30:31 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Just out of curiosity... do you ever trim the hackle on the bottom of the fly so it rides flatter on the water film? It was recommended to me to try that and I noticed refusals went down a bit when I modded my flies that way.

I've never done that, I like the idea. That could be a good solution for when I run out of hackle to match my hook size and need to use oversized hackle- trim up the bottom and it's no longer an issue ThumpUp .... and if it improves hook-ups that's cool too I suppose.
OTC_MN  
#177 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:12:57 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

EHC. Man's best friend.

UserPostedImage

Very nice! Wish my Elk Hair Caddis ties turned out like that. I should've taken up fly tying when I had younger eyes and steadier hands.

-Bill

Bill -

Most of the caddis I tie for flatter water are X-Caddis style. No hackle on the body and a Zelon trailing shuck. They ride pretty low and they're way, way easier to tie. Can crank one out in about half the time it takes to tie a regular EHC.

Another good one is Charlie Craven's Mugly Caddis. Works great whether it's floating or not honestly. In fast water I like the Butch Caddis. Kind of a pain to tie, but they're just about impossible to sink.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
OTC_MN  
#178 Posted : Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:14:01 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

I've had a lot of vice time lately and wanted to share some recent ties. Some new to me and some tried and true.

Red dart thing.

UserPostedImage

Red Dart is a heck of a fly man. I have a bunch of them in my jig box.
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#179 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:07:32 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

I found some better soft hackle feathers and tied up another batch of Hendrickson style flies in size 10 and 12 using various colors of dubbing. Playing around to try and find some small feathers to form a tail style that I like.
UserPostedImage

Here's some Peacock and Partridge variants. I like the rusty red thread color for the head, but haven't been able to locate a insect green that looks right.
UserPostedImage

I also tied up some soft hackle streamers on size 6 hooks using some of the bigger feathers. I can't wait to try these. I bet they'll look great in the water with those layers of soft hackle.
UserPostedImage

And for fun, some small streamers using Pine Squirrel Rabbit strips and clear plastic fish masks. The UV glue and new UV flashlight worked great. I like how quick it sets up. No waiting around for regular adhesives to dry.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, February 17, 2018 5:10:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

SquareEgg  
#180 Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2018 6:12:34 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

I like the collar on those squirrel streamers. What is the material? Emerger yarn?