Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2015 5:03:35 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Some more articulated flies. These are my sloppy versions of Kelly Galloup's "Sex Dungeon."

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Stacking, tying and shaving the deer hair to form the head is tricky. My hands are not that steady. Instead of trying to get it perfect, I let it look a little ragged, thinking that ugly might fish better than pretty. We'll see. I made these smaller and shorter in length than the original, with #4 & #6 hooks.

Here's a tip if you tie these (or any large pattern): put a pencil eraser on the hook and spare yourself some painful stabs while messing with the Marabou and hackle.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2015 6:20:53 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

These look great! I like the eraser tip. My fingers would appreciate another way to avoid getting poked with a sharp hook.
William Schlafer  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2016 1:18:53 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Tried tying a few more Autumn Splendor patterns today. Mine seem to come out a bit bushier than they should. Some shorter hackle feathers should help. The brown and yellow contrasts so nicely.

UserPostedImage

I don't have the right materials (on order) to tie Ryan's "Fricks Fix" - but I thought I would practice with materials on hand. Darker olive marabou, the right chenille, and a jig hook should help.
UserPostedImage

Still working on perfecting the Sex Dungeon. Stacking the fur correctly around the dumbbell is tricky. I like the looks of the green beads with the yellow through. Should be fun stripping and jerking them through deep pools and runs.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
FryinPanDan  
#14 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2016 7:51:37 AM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

William Schlafer wrote:
These are my sloppy versions ...

... followed by several immaculately shot macro photos of so called "sloppy" flies. Flapper
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#15 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2016 2:02:56 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

FryinPanDan wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:
These are my sloppy versions ...

... followed by several immaculately shot macro photos of so called "sloppy" flies. Flapper

You should see the box full of nasty looking flies that await recycling. Steep learning curve on some of these patterns.

-Bill
Ic3wind  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:25:22 PM(UTC)
Ic3wind

Looking good...I'm a huge fan of articulated streamers....I don't post often so my apologies if I'm over stepping my bounds but I have three pieces of feedback that might help

1. Using "Down eye" hooks as a trailer can cause the back fly to track poorly and foul. If possible try using "straight eye" hook in the rear.

2. I agree that the contrast of the yellow and green look good but to my eye the connection between the two looks a little on the long side and throws off the proportions a bit. It can also lead to the hooks fouling on each other when you fish them. Especially across current.

3. If your trying to do a dungeon style head they typically include a collar as well. Although if your trying to do your own thing then who cares let er buck.

If you haven't seen this here's a good vid on how Kelly does his collar and heads.

Edited by user Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:26:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:31:09 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Ic3wind wrote:
Looking good...I'm a huge fan of articulated streamers....I don't post often so my apologies if I'm over stepping my bounds but I have three pieces of feedback that might help

1. Using "Down eye" hooks as a trailer can cause the back fly to track poorly and foul. If possible try using "straight eye" hook in the rear.

2. I agree that the contrast of the yellow and green look good but to my eye the connection between the two looks a little on the long side and throws off the proportions a bit. It can also lead to the hooks fouling on each other when you fish them. Especially across current.

3. If your trying to do a dungeon style head they typically include a collar as well. Although if your trying to do your own thing then who cares let er buck.

If you haven't seen this here's a good vid on how Kelly does his collar and heads.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've got some straight eye hooks on order, as well as some jig style for the Fricks Fix pattern. All of these that I've tied so far are mostly experimental / practice until my skills improve and I obtain the proper tying materials. Stacking and packing fur for those formed heads is particularly tricky.

All of this would certainly be easier with younger eyes and steadier hands. But tying flies does make those long winter nights easier to get through.

-Bill
William Schlafer  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:35:54 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Here's a batch of streamer jigs based on Ryan's excellent Fricks Fix pattern.

UserPostedImage

I tied a mix of variations using different materials. And yes, some of them have the Flashabout on top of the hook instead of the bottom. I messed up on the first couple, but decided to tie a few more that way and see how they fish. Some ended up with too much Flashabou on several, so I may go back and trim some of that off.

I was able to get the right Eagle Claw jig hooks, but struck out on the black dumb bell heads Ryan used. So I just went with what I had on hand. Also experimented with different color and type of rubber legs. I kinda like the way the pink shrimp color works with the olive green.

Can't wait to try them out.

-Bill
MNFishhunter  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:55:54 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

I like the pink with the olive too, I going to try that. Good luck with the flies, they look great!
derdmann  
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:22:18 AM(UTC)
derdmann

William,,
Do you use a dubbing loop for your squirrels?
Doug
"The tug is the drug"