Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 7:41:09 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
derdmann wrote:
William,,
Do you use a dubbing loop for your squirrels?
Doug

I usually don't bother. On a size 14-12 scud hook you'll only get a few turns anyway, and the wire wrap is plenty to hold the dubbing in place. You can simplify the tie even more by leaving out the wire and just wrap the dubbing back with a few loops of thread. I like the dubbing to be chunky and spiky. The buggier and messier it looks, the more fish they seem to catch.

The trick is to get the chenille collar (if you use chenille) to stay locked in place. Store bought Pink Squirrels seem to come unwrapped after they get wet. I apply an overhand knot with the Chenille and lock down the loose end with a couple turns of thread. Trim off the excess and then apply a small drop of head cement to the knot to secure it.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 8:54:32 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

I tied a few of Fricks Fix as well and tried them on the Kinnie. Is there a preference as to the rubber leg length? I noticed that mine were a bit long and it actually looked more like a bass jig.
MNFishhunter  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 9:29:01 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

The typical length on a size 1 or 2 hook is about three inches. I'm tying a black version on size 4 hook now , the legs are about two inches long. Look back at various post on my blog to see some pics.
William Schlafer  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:02:56 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

And here's another Fricks Fix - The Pink Squirrel Version:

UserPostedImage

Sorry Ryan! Couldn't resist. Wink

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
EddieRivard  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:35:47 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Good looking fly William! ThumpUp

I tied this up today. It's called a Matt's Llano Critter and I had success with this pattern when I first started focusing on Streamers so I thought I would make some more.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here is a link to the video for it.

How to tie the Matt's Llano Critter

ThumpUp

Edited by user Tuesday, February 2, 2016 5:48:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:48:17 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

EddieRivard wrote:
I tied this up today. It's called a Matt's Llano Critter and I had success with this pattern when I first started focusing on Streamers so I thought I would make some more.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

ThumpUp ThumpUp

Dang! Now I have to go back to the fly shop and buy some more materials!

-Bill
DanE  
#27 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 9:12:15 AM(UTC)
DanE

I finally started tying some flies a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately like usual, I am messing around with new stuff rather than tying the essentials that I need.

Tied a couple carp flies using Ryan Frick's jighook and dumbell head as a base. I used a heavy gamakatsu hook in a size 2 however. I really like the look of the cohen's carp dub. I may even try these for smallies and trout.
UserPostedImage

Messed around with some more different materials too. The top ones are Mohair plus, the bottom are just ice dub.
UserPostedImage

I decided to mess around with some nymphs too, I kinda like the look of this hybrid copper john. I will shorten up the tails a bit next time.
UserPostedImage

And last but not least, is the base for a pike fly. 2/0 main hook with wire tied to the eye and then wrapped down the hook to the size 2 trailer. The Rio wire bite in 30 lb is really easy to work with and tie. Not really sure how I want to finish it yet, but should hold up to the 40+ inch pike we encounter when we go to Canada. Any thoughts on the tie for this one Dullyouth?
UserPostedImage

Edited by user Monday, February 8, 2016 9:13:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#28 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 11:12:21 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Looks great! I love those Carp flies.

But what we all want to know Dan is what is that pink/purplish squiggly legs looking thing at the top of the second photo?

BigGrin

-Bill
MNFishhunter  
#29 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 11:20:51 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

I love the carp flies, could do multi species with those. Are you going to tie some squirmy wormies with the little rubber legs or mctages trouser worm?
DanE  
#30 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 11:49:55 AM(UTC)
DanE

MNFishhunter wrote:
I love the carp flies, could do multi species with those. Are you going to tie some squirmy wormies with the little rubber legs or mctages trouser worm?

Bill and Ryan, The purple rubber thingy was a kids toy of some sort, $.99 at Target. I plan to use them for the tail on a small panfish fly/ice jig type of thing. Just have not gotten that far yet.