Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trapper  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 5:24:55 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
weiliwen wrote:
I have one on order after wiggling Trapper's Echo 8' 4 wt Base. Can you folks make suggestions about the best brand/model of fly line for the rod?

I use a el cheapo 4wt , weight forward line I purchase locally at wally world for $15. Its a Cortland Fairplay line.
Get Reel
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 12:18:16 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
This year I replaced the Cortland line that I've used the three seasons with Airflo Dri Elite WF for my 4W Echo Carbon (similar to the Echo Base). I only have one outing with it, this last Sunday on a 35 degree day. I fought some coiling issues due to the newness of the line and the cold. But after awhile it loosened up and was casting well. Not a really good test due to the conditions. I really couldn't tell the difference to the much cheaper Cortland 333. Looking forward to a better test on a warmer day.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Skimmer  
#13 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2016 12:55:57 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I used el cheapo Cabelas lines the last few seasons and finally upgraded to "premium" RIO lines for my two most used rods. They certainly are smoother, cast longer, and are a little more accurate on long casts. Catch more fish? Worth the extra money? Jury is still out.

Edited by user Sunday, January 10, 2016 12:58:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:20:23 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I managed to break my Echo Carbon 8 foot 4W yesterday. Fortunately the Driftless Angler Fly shop was nearby, and I picked up a Echo Base 8 foot 4W to replace it. I've only fished one day with it so far, but I think I got a feel for the rod. Here are my thoughts.

Compared to the Echo Carbon, the Base rod is a bit heavier and the action is a little faster (stiffer). It doesn't have the light feel that the Carbon does, and it takes extra effort to get the fly to roll out properly. I could really feel it at the end of the day in my forearm and elbow. You needed to put a bit more of a snap to the down stroke to get the fly out to the same distance as the Carbon.

This isn't a bad thing though, as a beginner rod. It will focus the user to develop better casting technique (than I currently have). And at $89, you certainly can't argue with the value.

The tip end section is much thicker than the spaghetti thin tip on the Carbon. Tight flip casts with light dry flies were less accurate, but bigger heavier flies cast well with the Base. It did roll cast nicely, however. It does fight you a bit in the wind, but has enough heft to bull the fly line though it. Accurate finesse casts are possible, with a little effort and practice, but again, not as easy as with the Carbon.

With fish on it handles fine and seems to transmit energy well back through the line. Larger fish can be turned with a little finesse. There is noticeably less rod bend compared to the Carbon rod. It may be a little more difficult to feel light takes with the Base.

All in all, not a bad rod. Easily better than my other cheap rods, but definitely a step down from the Carbon in overall performance. A great first rod, or an excellent spare for the trunk.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos