Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gillh2o  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 8:17:50 AM(UTC)
gillh2o

Anyone have any experience as to durability of these boots. I've had a pair of Riverteks for about three years and are beyond repair. Although the Vibram soles have worn down they still hold in stream beds and climbing in and out of stream banks. I'm an active 68 year old that fishes year round in the Iowa driftless. The only time I use Grip Studs is in the winter. Thanks
Sponsor
Gerrber  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:15:17 AM(UTC)
Gerrber

I picked up a pair of the vapor boots back in June so I can't be a real authority on the durability in the long term. After about 20+ days on the water mine are still in great condition. I can't speak highly enough of how light and comfy they are, after some 10 hour days with 5 miles of walking there's no complaints on my end.

Edited by user Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:15:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:45:11 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
I have the Simms Freestone boots. Worn them for a couple seasons now and they've held up very well. I tried on the Vapor boots last summer and walked around the store with them for a few minutes. They're very comfortable, a definite upgrade to the Freestones, and a better overall design. I nearly bought them on the spot because they felt so right, but decide to save the cash and get at least another season out of the Freestones.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
DanE  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2015 8:53:35 AM(UTC)
DanE

I have no experience with the G3's, but I have had the Vapors for a year and they are great. They show hardly any wear, have great grip in the stream, and are light enough that they work well if you want to hike a distance to get further off the beaten path. I have yet to hear anyone that has a pair with anything negative to say about them.
AKinMN  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2015 12:16:49 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've got a buddy who has had the Vapors for two seasons now. He probably has 50 outings on them and the stiching between the shoe and sole is coming undone at the pivot point from bending when hiking. I believe I read the MNfishhunter, either here or on his blog, has the same issue with them. For $175 you'd think they'd hold up better than that. Some of it might be the materials used to keep the weight down. For what it's worth, Simms does not have that exact boot model in their 2016 line-up. Looks like they've made some changes and rebranded it the Headwaters.

For 1/2 a lb. more weight, the G3 would probably last you much longer.

Edited by user Monday, December 14, 2015 12:17:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jfinn  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 14, 2015 8:01:01 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've had Simms rivertek 1 for over 5 years now still going strong. I really like them not sure how the G3 compares.
MNFishhunter  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:07:53 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

I have had the Vapors for two years now and they are literally coming apart at the seams, the boots are seriously garbage at this point. I was reluctant to buy another Simms boot, but as of last week I have started wearing a pair of G3's. I hope these last a little longer.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:08:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

EddieRivard  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:35:54 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
MNFishhunter wrote:
I have had the Vapors for two years now and they are literally coming apart at the seams, the boots are seriously garbage at this point. I was reluctant to buy another Simms boot, but as of last week I have started wearing a pair of G3's. I hope these last a little longer.

You wear a pair of boots for 300 days of hard use over the course of two years and complain when they start to fall apart? What did you expect? Shaquille O'neal?
MNFishhunter  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:41:01 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

Good point, Eddie. I still think another year or two wouldn't hurt.
moosekid  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:18:07 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
EddieRivard wrote:
MNFishhunter wrote:

You wear a pair of boots for 300 days of hard use over the course of two years and complain when they start to fall apart? What did you expect? Shaquille O'neal?

They're gonna fall apart eventually so get LL Bean boots. They have the best looking boots, and they all have a lifetime warranty.