Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jumpsuit  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2016 10:47:12 AM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
New Year's weekend was spent trout fishing in Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties in Iowa this year. My brother and I hadn't trout fished in nearly two years together, and I had hadn't really been out since summer. The drive up over the hills and listening to Greg Brown, John Gorka, and AA Bondy was just worth the trip. Oh yeah, If you guys are in Decorah, I highly recommend Dorthy's Lager sold around town.

UserPostedImage

The streams were clear and low, and the skies were sunny, however, we did well on Browns the whole trip. The big name streams like North and South Bear were packed as usual, but we found some lesser known areas to fish this trip instead. I was surprised at how many people were fishing.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
By brother with a nice 14 inch Brown.

I spent alot of time switching up presentations this trip, along with just standing on the bank watching my brother fish and smoking way too much pipe tobacco. He spent the majority of the trip fishing 1/8 and 1/4 oz Panthers and Mepps. I went back and forth trying an array of maribou and tinsel jigs, working some new crankbaits, and going back to throwing spinners. Almost everything we caught was holding in deeper water and the speed of our presentation was key. We fished against the currant and just let our lures flutter as slow as possible in the currant, just barely moving allowing trout to strike them lightly as if they didn't have a care in the world about whether or not they landed their prey. Most of our luck was on dark jigs and earth and neutral colored spinners. We didn't have a single hit on cranks.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My two best Browns on the trip were 16.5 and 15.5 inches, nothing real noteworthy but it made be happy. By brother got a nice 14 too, and we caught plenty of 9's to 11 ish inch fish too. We caught our fair shair of Rainbows, but no Brookies. Couldn't ask more than to just be out up there.

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Friday, January 8, 2016 10:49:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
FryinPanDan  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2016 6:11:04 PM(UTC)
FryinPanDan

Man

I love the idea of a trout "landing their prey"

Anything 16" and above in the Driftless is noteworthy in my opinion.
"My position is, we should have a clean, healthy, diverse natural environment so I can go fishing. Because fishing makes me happy." - John Gierach
BRAUNTRUTTA
UserPostedImage
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2016 7:29:04 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Great report. Thank you for contributing.
ThumpUp Kind of makes me want to finish my last blog post.