Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Willow River Dam Options
EddieRivard
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:49:03 PM

Food for thought.

More stuff

After reviewing all the documents I have decided to use the considerable pull I have in Wisconsin political circles to push for the rebuilding of a coldwater release dam on the Willow River and I urge my fellow DTAer's to do the same. ThumpUp

TheDancingMan
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:03:20 PM

Thanks for this Eddie. I use to catch some big trout on the Willow a few years back. However, the Race section has been so choked out with Buckthorn it's unbearable. I would love to see Willow turned into a tailwater with more productive opportunities for trout close to the metro area.
“What's his offense?
Groping for trout in a peculiar river.”

Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
EddieRivard
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:14:57 PM

One of my best friends is pretty passionate about Buckthorne Removal and has done quite a bit of it in the Saint Croix Falls area. It is not easy work but it can be done with an army of people. Does anybody know where I can find an army? ThumpUp
TheDancingMan
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 7:16:15 PM

EddieRivard wrote:
One of my best friends is pretty passionate about Buckthorne Removal and has done quite a bit of it in the Saint Croix Falls area. It is not easy work but it can be done with an army of people. Does anybody know where I can find an army? ThumpUp

I have been wanting to cut that buckthorn down for years. Count me in. The only problem about the Race section is a lot of the good water is on private property. But I have the entire summer off - teacher perks- and would be willing to help in anyway.
“What's his offense?
Groping for trout in a peculiar river.”

Shakespeare, Measure for Measure
s.t.fanatic
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:30:54 PM

Rivers were created to flow freely. Lakes were created to do the opposite. The one thing that dams are better at than holding back water is collecting silt. The "pond" may start out being 20' deep but give it 20 years and see what happens.
EddieRivard
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:20:17 AM

s.t.fanatic wrote:
Rivers were created to flow freely. Lakes were created to do the opposite.

I agree wholeheartedly with you and if they don't end up rebuilding I will think that is good as well. In this case the trout fishery below the site of the dam will benifet from the cold water and the lake is actually a pretty nice lake. I'm not going to cry either way but in this instance a dam wouldn't be all that bad.
NE IA Drifter
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:28:38 AM

s.t.fanatic wrote:
Rivers were created to flow freely. Lakes were created to do the opposite. The one thing that dams are better at than holding back water is collecting silt. The "pond" may start out being 20' deep but give it 20 years and see what happens.

I didn't want to be the first to say this but I glad you did. We have plenty of dams and if this one is to support a trout habitat that wouldn't otherwise exist then I can't see a good reason to keep it. Warm water species can be fun as well. Besides (and this is where you look at me funny) most of the trout we have in the driftless as non-native to begin with.

With that said, I see value in dams that protect the upper reaches of a tributary from invasive species (Asian carp, etc) which is an issue in the Midwest or other environmental benefits. I don't know anything about this particular dam so maybe there are more benefits.

I'll show myself the door now...
EddieRivard
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:43:50 AM

Here is a link to a good article about the area.

Middle Dam
NE IA Drifter
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:37:24 AM

EddieRivard wrote:
Here is a link to a good article about the area.

Middle Dam

Still not convinced BigGrin

Sounds like it was great fishery at one point in its history. Cheers!
NBrevitz
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 3:33:39 PM

That river could still be so good, even with the loss of groundwater flow. With the exception of a 2 mile stretch well upstream, little of it is worthwhile, and even then it's all stockers... I'd prefer to see the dam gone, but I understand why they'd like to keep a trophy bass fishery intact. Bottom draw sounds like a good idea, but as others have pointed out, you'd need that to stay deep. How do you accomplish that? Dreaging? This isn't like the Green below Flaming Gorge, so keep that in mind. That said, you'd see a ton of scary sized Browns if that River were 5-6 degrees colder in the summer. Still a fun stretch for Smallmouth.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."