Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EddieRivard  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 11:03:30 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
How dare you disagree with me Brevitz? I am going to moderate the shit out of you.
DanE  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 11:41:12 AM(UTC)
DanE

EddieRivard wrote:
How dare you disagree with me Brevitz? I am going to moderate the shit out of you.

LOL LOL LOL
Dullyouth  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 11:56:19 AM(UTC)
Dullyouth

Eddie we should get your army to clear out the deadheads on the upper reaches by New Richmond too.
moosekid  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:55:44 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Are there any bottom release tailwaters in Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa??

NBrevitz  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:32:32 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
moosekid wrote:

There are a handful, but given that our reservoirs are generally former mill ponds, it only cools the water 8 degrees or so most of the time. The tailwaters out in Utah, Arkansas, Tennessee or even the Dakotas run much colder, since the reservoirs are often at least 50-60 feet deep at the dam base.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:22:12 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

NBrevitz wrote:
moosekid wrote:

There are a handful, but given that our reservoirs are generally former mill ponds, it only cools the water 8 degrees or so most of the time. The tailwaters out in Utah, Arkansas, Tennessee or even the Dakotas run much colder, since the reservoirs are often at least 50-60 feet deep at the dam base.

When you say it only cools the water 8 degrees or so, what do you mean? I'm assuming that the discharge water is 8 degrees cooler than the surface temp. of the "lake" water.

If that is the case. What is the average temp of the willow above the lake in the summer time? I would sure think that it is 8 degrees cooler than the surface temp of the lake.
NBrevitz  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:43:12 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
s.t.fanatic wrote:

When you say it only cools the water 8 degrees or so, what do you mean? I'm assuming that the discharge water is 8 degrees cooler than the surface temp. of the "lake" water.

If that is the case. What is the average temp of the willow above the lake in the summer time? I would sure think that it is 8 degrees cooler than the surface temp of the lake.

The Willow generally runs in the mid-upper 60s around Burkhardt, where there was another reservoir (Mounds Pond) until sometime in the 90s. The temperature of Willow Race below the lake was around 68 this past September, so I can only assume that runs 75+ whens its 85 or so out and not 72 with lows in the mid 50s.

Assuming a bottom draw was installed, you would need a certain depth to be established, for a fair amount of acreage, to cool the water more than a few degrees. This is especially true for a smaller, shallower reservoir like Little Falls, where the water is already running in the mid 60s (during non scorching weather) when it enters the lake.

The Reservoirs out West, where great tailwater fisheries have been established, are very unlike the Willow. They don't silt up, and reach over 100 feet at the dam base. They're also generally fed by snowmelt, helping cool the river and as a result the reservoir. As a result, the water released is often in the low 50s at the warmest. That's why the Green below Flaming Gorge is so awesome. The water at the bottom of the lake is relatively warm in the winter, and very cool in the summer. You'd be lucky to find water in the upper 60s in the depths of Little Falls Lake, given that there is very little stratification in a small impoundment such as this, and the surface runs in the upper 70s. So a bottom draw would help, but not to the point where it would become a naturally sustaining Trout water.

But, on the other side of the coin, you'd have massive challenges result from the complete removal of the dam. The next 2-3 spring floods would result in decades of accumulated sediment running through an already silt and brush choked section of river with serious erosion problems and steep banks. That mud and silt would then begin to accumulate in Lake Mallalieu, impeding navigation on a very popular body of water with many homes on the N Shore. It would also take a massive effort to restore the banks before Buckthorn and Box Elder became established, though you would need to wait for the river to cut a new channel. That said, after 5 years, you'd probably see Trout #s tick up quite a bit, since there are believed to be many submerged springs in Little Falls Lake around the old river channel, and the Burkhardt stretch has remained fairly productive. Taking out the dam at Mary Park Lake up in New Richmond as well, now that could really change things in regards to Trout Water mileage and quality, but that is not on the table at this point.
That's probably more than you were looking for, but hope that helps.Laugh

Edited by user Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:08:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
trapper  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:02:30 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Totally blows my mind how someone at 20 yrs old has such a grasp of things- well done NickThumpUp
Get Reel
s.t.fanatic  
#19 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 8:08:18 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Not knowing the area I had no Idea that there were than many dams. Removing one would help. Removing all would cure. I'd say start with one with hopes that in the future the rest would eventually be to expensive to maintain and they would also come out. It doesnt sound all that much different than than the Zumbro River in Minnesota. I have a book writter in the early 1880's that states that in the early 1850's that the zumbro river watershed held the biggest brook trout in the area. I would love to see that river restored to it's former glory. That poses many problems with the Rochester crowd recreating at Lake Zumbro. My question is what is the problem with Lake Pepin? That river has already been ruined and with no hopes of it ever changing. Like I said earlier rivers are made to flow freely. We no longer use them to mill lumber or flour and what little power is generated from them isn't lucrative when you talk about the cost in maintaining them. Sending massive amounts of silt into the Mississippi would maybe get Uncle Sam to step it up on set back ordinances and stream/river restoration.
Mark Dahlquist  
#20 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 7:21:42 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I don't think that lake is deep at all. It does not show depth on navionics http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#@12&key=omqqGflbuP

Unless there are springs in the lower reaches to support I think the river should be left without a dam and efforts to restore a river from a lake.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage