Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HookJaw  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:07:45 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
Skimmer  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:57:10 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
"Notice I didn't write never" bahaha
moosekid  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:04:24 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
What he fails to mention in the article is that while air temps can impact stream temps -- they can also melt snow.

Snow melt flirts with 32 degrees. It's like throwing ice cubes in the river.

In a place like the driftless where springs are so prevalent, I would argue that the stream temperatures would be warmest on a sunny day, with temperatures just under 32 degrees.

PS. The orvis thermometer is 15$ I tested mine against a guide's thermometer (he gets his professionally checked out at the beginning of each season) and it was only 1 degree off...

Edited by user Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:06:25 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shebs  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:56:51 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
moosekid wrote:
What he fails to mention in the article is that while air temps can impact stream temps -- they can also melt snow.

Snow melt flirts with 32 degrees. It's like throwing ice cubes in the river.

In a place like the driftless where springs are so prevalent, I would argue that the stream temperatures would be warmest on a sunny day, with temperatures just under 32 degrees.

A cloudy day at 31, or a sunny day at more like 26-28. It's a real fine line. I was out last weekend and it was ~29 or so, but as soon as the sun came out, the shelf ice started to melt and the bite shut down very suddenly.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
rschmidt  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:13:40 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
The streams are several degrees above 32 even at their coldest. The streams here don't freeze over and the cool water in the summer also moderates the drop in temp during the winter. Sat. was a nearly 37 degrees where I was fishing. I thought I'd see over 40 but not quite yet. The best area streams here even in the dead of summer do not get warmer than low 60's and the Kinni will barely push 60. R
moosekid  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:50:43 PM(UTC)
moosekid

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
rschmidt wrote:
The streams are several degrees above 32 even at their coldest. The streams here don't freeze over and the cool water in the summer also moderates the drop in temp during the winter. Sat. was a nearly 37 degrees where I was fishing. I thought I'd see over 40 but not quite yet. The best area streams here even in the dead of summer do not get warmer than low 60's and the Kinni will barely push 60. R

I guess my post was misleading -- I was talking about 32 degrees as an air-temp not a stream temp...

Right on shebs, that seems about right. My main point was that the article doesn't take snow melt into account and that warmer air-temps don't necessarily guarantee warmer stream temps in the driftless where ground water is always in the mix...
shebs  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:17:36 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
moosekid wrote:

Right on shebs, that seems about right. My main point was that the article doesn't take snow melt into account and that warmer air-temps don't necessarily guarantee warmer stream temps in the driftless where ground water is always in the mix...

That also happens to be the goldilocks point for stream traffic - just warm enough to activate the bite, but if it's cold enough to get ice in the guides, most guys stay on the couch where I won't run into them Flapper
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Skimmer  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:32:17 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Weather was perfect today! 31 and sunny, very little ice and snow melting into the stream. Water was running clear and in the upper 30s. Fishing was good! Certainly caught more than "1 or 2" and I didn't have to work very hard at all. Many fish were pulled out of spots that typically are hot spots in the summer. I'll be out the next few days!

Edited by user Wednesday, January 27, 2016 4:35:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trapper  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:03:28 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Skimmer wrote:
Weather was perfect today! 31 and sunny, very little ice and snow melting into the stream. Water was running clear and in the upper 30s. Fishing was good! Certainly caught more than "1 or 2" and I didn't have to work very hard at all. Many fish were pulled out of spots that typically are hot spots in the summer. I'll be out the next few days!

Quality time spent on the streamThumpUp ThumpUp
Get Reel