Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:17:25 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I've been using a Fishpond chest/lumbar pack for a few years and I like it, but sometimes its just a little too small.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Umpqua Toketee Vest. Cabela's has it on sale at 70 bucks down from 170.

http://www.cabelas.com/c...ac1084522402efef5e7075bf

Then I saw this sling pack for sale that facebook so "generously" recommended to me.

http://www.backcountry.c...8-11e5-9a09-005056947d48

now I'm unable to make a decision.

WHICH one would you use and WHY?

I fish 2 to 3 days a weeks. Sometimes just short trips, but often half day long wades. Plenty of bushwhacking. The current fishpond pack I have now is perfect for short jaunts on streams like timber coulee. I need something better geared toward mile plus trips
Sponsor
MNFishhunter  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:24:12 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

Stick with the vest or a pack. I have a Patagonia sling, and It keeps sliding around. I like waterproof packs, my $0.02.
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 6:29:48 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Stop messing around with plastic vests and slings that will go out of style two years from now and go with a classic that will only look more bad ass year after year after year after year. Someday your grandson will be wearing this vest after you gave it a lifetime of experience. I've had mine for a few years and love it more and more every day. Yes the price is a little steep but so is buying a new plastic vest/pack every three years when a zipper breaks or cheap fabric gets torn.

UserPostedImage
lightningo2  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:36:37 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Go with a vest or pack. I have a friend that has a sling pack and it always slides where ever it wants. Plus your net will not be centered. You will need to attach your net and place it on the side most comfortable to you. IMO vest is the way to go!
lightningo2  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:38:50 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

plus it looks like it may be even cheaper?? 59.99$?
Skimmer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:45:18 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

I have a Field and Stream vest I picked up at work. It really only sees use on days I fish dawn to dusk. On days like that a full load of fly boxes, beers, and lunch are essential. Most days however I just bring what I can get in my waders. They have a flip out chest pouch in addition to a main pouch and handwarmer pouch. I can usually bring 2-3 boxes, leaders, tippet, floatant and 3 tall boys. The no vest, no pack, is the way to go!

Edited by user Tuesday, February 2, 2016 8:56:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2016 11:13:10 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Vest all the way. I travel light, so it's not a space thing. Just makes it a lot easier and it stays in position.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
big_river_bum  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 4:13:39 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
EddieRivard wrote:
Stop messing around with plastic vests and slings that will go out of style two years from now and go with a classic that will only look more bad ass year after year after year after year. Someday your grandson will be wearing this vest after you gave it a lifetime of experience. I've had mine for a few years and love it more and more every day. Yes the price is a little steep but so is buying a new plastic vest/pack every three years when a zipper breaks or cheap fabric gets torn.

UserPostedImage

i like the vest, but I'd feel like I was just trying to copy the master if I wore it.....plus I'd have to get an elmer fudd hat too Flapper
DanE  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:02:53 AM(UTC)
DanE

I like a hip pack. Has the benefits of not being as hot as a vest when it is warm out, and stays in place better than a sling pack. The Umpqua Ledges 650 is on sale at Cabelas for $59.99, which is a steal on a great pack. It even has a frame on the backside which allows air to circulate between the pack and your body.
http://www.cabelas.com/p...s-CATEGORY_SEQ_105766380
cschub13  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:03:35 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

Not sure what kind of slings everyone is using that are sliding around? I have a Simms Headwater sling pack and it buckles in a few places around you, and certainly does not slide. I love it.