Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NE IA Drifter  
#41 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2016 7:19:13 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
HuggyBear wrote:
I have the old Simms Headwaters(?) pack. I like wearing it until I have to attach my net. Then the damn thing goes all wonky and the net gets in the way. Now, the new Fishpond sling looks pretty well thought out. I like the idea of the sheath for your net, built in to the pack. I have a vest, a Patagonia convertible, and I like it a lot. But I only use it for day trips, and I'll attach it to the roll-top backpack.

I'll sell the Simms pack for $40 if anyone wants it.

The beer holder Sells me on that sling! I don't know how that shealth will work, by the looks of the picture kind of looks like it will get in the way...
HuggyBear  
#42 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 8:08:56 AM(UTC)
HuggyBear

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sooooo,

Last month while walking around at the Great Waters Expo here in the Twin Cities, I saw that Fishpond Delta Sling pack in the the Thorne Bros. booth. After looking at it and trying it on, and I decided to buy it, even tho I already own that Simms sling pack.

Quite honestly, after a few outings with it, I can honestly say this is the most well thought out sling pack out there. They way it stays in place, the sheath for the net, storage space, and attachment points, this sling has it all. Most of all, you forget that its there when your in the "zone". Know what I mean?

I highly recommend this pack for anyone that's in the market for a sling. ThumpUp

AutobotTrainer  
#43 Posted : Friday, April 8, 2016 12:52:56 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
For the price and usability, I've very happy with my recent find on amazon.

UserPostedImage
This sling pack is inexpensive, comfortable, lightweight, has a ton of loops for attachments, and is well balanced for a quick turn when I need it, but disappears around my back when I'm in my casts. A seemingly insignificant thing on this sling that really makes it ideal is that is has a loop perfectly placed on the shoulder strap so that you can have your line clips and leader straightener right in front of you. This is missing on a few of the packs I tried at Bass Pro Shops.

I also prefer putting my net on the right side loop (the one you see with the carabiner). I've never liked the "behind the neck" placement on my old vest. My shoulder was always soaking wet at the end of the day. There are a ton of colors to choose from too. I have a different color for each of my kids so we can quickly grab our gear and go!

http://www.amazon.com/Pi...ef_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img

No thing created by man is infallible.
OTC_MN  
#44 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:06:10 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Anyone have the Simms Headwaters vest? Through a work thing, I can get one for - well, nothing basically - but wanted to see if anyone here had one first before I bite...
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
William Schlafer  
#45 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:37:19 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
AutobotTrainer wrote:
For the price and usability, I've very happy with my recent find on amazon.

UserPostedImage
This sling pack is inexpensive, comfortable, lightweight, has a ton of loops for attachments, and is well balanced for a quick turn when I need it, but disappears around my back when I'm in my casts. A seemingly insignificant thing on this sling that really makes it ideal is that is has a loop perfectly placed on the shoulder strap so that you can have your line clips and leader straightener right in front of you. This is missing on a few of the packs I tried at Bass Pro Shops.

I also prefer putting my net on the right side loop (the one you see with the carabiner). I've never liked the "behind the neck" placement on my old vest. My shoulder was always soaking wet at the end of the day. There are a ton of colors to choose from too. I have a different color for each of my kids so we can quickly grab our gear and go!

http://www.amazon.com/Pi...ef_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img

Nice find!

I've been thinking about moving to a sling. My vest makes me look like I'm wearing a gigantic bra with pockets. The sling is easier to slip on and off too.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
AutobotTrainer  
#46 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2016 1:44:32 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
William Schlafer wrote:

Nice find!

I've been thinking about moving to a sling. My vest makes me look like I'm wearing a gigantic bra with pockets. The sling is easier to slip on and off too.

-Bill

Then I'm about to seal the deal, Bill. This sling has a quick clip on the shoulder sling so you can easily clip it on and off if you don't want to throw it over your head. I'm telling you, the 6 year old chinese kid who put this together did a fine job.

UserPostedImage
No thing created by man is infallible.
Jumpsuit  
#47 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 10:49:53 AM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I recently got a Patagonia Sling, and I gotta say I love it so far. Took it out and walked mile after mile yesterday and it was comfortable on how it was positioned on my back, as well as really easy to swing around when I needed it. Straps are great and the organization is well thought out.
Hoggies  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:29:36 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
NE IA Drifter wrote:
HuggyBear wrote:
I have the old Simms Headwaters(?) pack. I like wearing it until I have to attach my net. Then the damn thing goes all wonky and the net gets in the way. Now, the new Fishpond sling looks pretty well thought out. I like the idea of the sheath for your net, built in to the pack. I have a vest, a Patagonia convertible, and I like it a lot. But I only use it for day trips, and I'll attach it to the roll-top backpack.

I'll sell the Simms pack for $40 if anyone wants it.

The beer holder Sells me on that sling! I don't know how that shealth will work, by the looks of the picture kind of looks like it will get in the way...

My buddy has that sling and the sheath works well with his fishpond net. It gets hung up on branches and stuff overhead while bushwhacking, but that's probably not worse than having it hitting your legs or catching low brush. It seems to stay out of the way when he flips the pack around, too.

I was doing vest and backpack (vest is the Gander mountain model with a breakaway back, backpack is either a CamelBak or my old bookbag from high school depending on the trip and weather... And if I'm packing a flask or beers) I got sick of dunking my vest pockets (and boxes) all the time and I found a Simms Waypoints chest pack on sale for $59.99, so I picked that up.

So far I've loaded it up and it holds everything I had in my vest without having to cram it in (the interior is cavernous, all the inside pockets are easy to get into, and the elastic double-box pocket/ divider is nice as hell). There's a ton of Velcro real estate on the front and the floatant/drier holder patch also holds gulp/powerbait jars securely. I can't find a use for the tippet minder, so that's going in the drawer until I finally win a rod and reel from a TU raffle and start fly fishing. There are attachment points on rubber tabs all over the place, and the tool holders on the sides have magnets under them so you can stick your tools to them to get them out of the way while you work rather than fully stow them.

Not included were a fly patch or any kind of a retractor (I had my own already, and I like zingers more than the coiled retractors Simms makes). I'm fishing with it all day Saturday and Sunday, so I'll update if I remember.
rschmidt  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:49:24 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I really liked the 40$ Sport Master cheapo, but they have changed the design and they suck now IMHO. I picked up a Simms Guide vest earlier this season (on major sale 105$). This is a top notch vest. All good materials. Zippers that won't catch fishing line, rod holder when walking, pockets all over, built in retractable cords hat I use for scissors and pliers, padded neck, good net attachment and seems quite durable. Really can't say anything bad, except I looked like the James Bond of the river until it got broken in. I prefer vest to sling or back pack. R
WI-fly  
#50 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:14:56 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I also have the Simms Waypoint and really like it. I can fit several fly boxes and other gear and I like the velcro divider to keep a beer/soda in there. I tried to use the velcro patch on the outside as a fly keeper, but lost a few flies from it so I won't try that anymore. It's a great pack for keeping a light load, but no room for lunch or a rain coat.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram