Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:52:21 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Here's the fly box arsenal for 2016:

UserPostedImage

Five full boxes for the vest to start the season. Counter-clockwise from the upper right: box one is dry flies, box two terrestrials, box three small bead heads and scuds, box four Woolly Buggers (and similar streamers), and box five is the big meat, articulated and other large streamers.

Mid-summer I'll switch out the terrestrial box for mostly hoppers. The big streamer box is only carried when I fish big water or streams that might have deep pools hiding that 20 incher that has eluded me so far. I rarely fish dries, so that one might get left in the trunk most days also.

This is probably massive overkill to carry around every day. But, it seems like many times while fishing all I can think about are the flies I didn't bring that might work that day. So I tend to prepare for any possibility.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
WI-fly  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 9:28:00 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Those are some nice looking bugs. Are all your squirrels the same pattern, or do you have some variation there?
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
MNFishhunter  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 4:10:27 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

A damn nice collection of flies, looks like you have all the bases covered.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 11:23:50 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

WI-fly wrote:
Those are some nice looking bugs. Are all your squirrels the same pattern, or do you have some variation there?

Thanks! We'll see how those big streamers fish later this spring. I have a feeling I'm going to he scaring away more fish than anything with those big articulated patterns. Am excited to try the Fricks Fix - which I think could become my favorite streamer.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Pink Squirrels. I prefer the original Bethke style with Fox Squirrel dubbing and the Shrimp Pink Chenille collar. Size 12 & 14 hooks. My mods include a healthy wrap of lead wire on the hook and tungsten bead head to get it down in the water column quickly. They cast better in the wind with the extra weight.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
RippinLips87  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 11:41:16 AM(UTC)
RippinLips87

Man

ThumpUp ThumpUp

Looks great! I need to start a terrestrial box. Any terrestrial ties you'd recommend starting with?
Fish 'til you swim with them
“Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once.” ~Lee Wulff
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 12:13:09 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 46 post(s)
You need a few more Pink Squirrels...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Skimmer  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 4:38:37 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
You need a few more Pink Squirrels...

Can never have too many!

How are the Tacky boxes for dries? Enough wing clearance? I really like slim 1 sided boxes and am still searching for the perfect one.

Edited by user Friday, February 5, 2016 4:41:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trapper  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 6:02:03 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
Did anyone get a chance to see John Bethke tie a Pink Squirrel on Jan. 2nd?
Get Reel
MN Mountain Man  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 7:30:49 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Bill, all I see when I look at that picture is a boatload of fish that you're going to catch with 'em! Well done! And yes, you can never have too many pink squirrels.
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 7:44:19 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

RippinLips87 wrote:
ThumpUp ThumpUp

Looks great! I need to start a terrestrial box. Any terrestrial ties you'd recommend starting with?

Beetle and Cricket patterns are great for those wet cloudy days when they are most prevalent along stream banks. Ants can be very productive too. Hippie Stompers are a great generic pattern. Ones with red and purple colors seem to be preferred. When you start seeing grasshoppers jump around, anything with legs and a wedge shaped body will draw aggressive strikes. I prefer the Morrish Hopper, but really they all work well. Size is typically the critical factor - smaller is usually better than too big. There are a bunch of generic foam body patterns out there that copy features of everything from a dragonfly to a bubble bee. They're all good to have in your box.

Good luck!
-Bill