Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages«<234
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MN Mountain Man  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:35:50 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I can't speak to splining an Epic Glass rod but I spline the top two sections on a four piece, top two on a three piece, and the top part of a two piece.

My thought is it's not too hard or inconvenient and it can't hurt.
Jared  
#32 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:53:44 AM(UTC)
Jared

TheFadingAngler wrote:
For those of you who've built an Epic 686, did you spine (spline?) your sections? Even the butt section?

I did the 3 top sections but not the butt. The instructions say don't bother with it, just line up the logos on the reel seat and butt section so it looks good. Like MN Mountainman says, it only takes a minute, why not do it?

For anyone who's building a rod, Epic has great detailed instructions and you can download the pdf free on their website. Obviously its directly describing the parts/epoxies that come in their kit, but you could use them for any rod.

Edited by user Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:55:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
MN Mountain Man  
#33 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 5:07:10 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I built a new 8 foot 6 inch 5 weight which I'm going to try and sell. I kinda got my fingers crossed that this one doesn't sell cause I need a good streamer rod and this one fits the bill! If it takes long enough to sell my wife may not notice it slide from the sale section of rods to my personal collectionWink

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I used a custom made wood handle and reel seat with fighting butt, snake brand guides, and a Rainshadow rx6 blank. It has that great soft, medium action that requires a good casing stroke.

Does anyone here turn their own grips and/or reel seats? I recently acquired a bench top lathe and can't wait to get started. I'm sure it'll take some practice to get high quality results but having that skill will definitely up my rod building game!

Edited by user Monday, May 9, 2016 5:07:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#34 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 8:29:09 PM(UTC)
DanE

THAT is a beautiful rod, especially the handle. I would be to worried about wrecking it to fish it. ThumpUp
MN Mountain Man  
#35 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2016 5:13:25 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Thanks DanE! Unfortunately it sold...as did this one I just finished up a few days ago.
UserPostedImage
MN Mountain Man  
#36 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:20:04 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
I built three 7'9" 3wt rods over the last week! This one was built on a H&H Xi blank. I found this cool acrylic impregnated sliding band reel seat (downlocking). I made a few casts on the lawn yesterday and I like the rod a lot. It has a fast action which would serve a streamer or nymph/wet fly fisherman well. I've fished dries with this blank in a 9' 4wt and it worked fine with heavy tippets but it would be a challenge using 6x or heavier tippet. If I could do it again I'd look for an uplocking or double band reel seat. The down locking seat on such a light rod leaves the rod feeling a little "butt heavy". Does anyone have any suggestions for a thinner profiled, light reel?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
This rod was built on a H&H Ftx blank. This blank has a fast action with a softer touch. A rod that would protect tippet very well. I really like these grips, made by Batson, because they are a little beefier and feel good in the hand.

I have a blank coming from a popular seller on Ebay over the next week and some decent components. I can't wait to get moving on that one.

Edited by user Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:25:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DanE  
#37 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 9:40:36 AM(UTC)
DanE

I got a small light reel for my 3wt off of e-bay from China. The name on it is Aikelen or something like that. It is nice and small and is a good match for my 3wt, and it was pretty inexpensive as well, I think less that $25. Below is a link to what it looks like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk...ing-Tackle/dp/B00LGGRXXY
flyfishingfreak  
#38 Posted : Friday, October 7, 2016 9:49:49 PM(UTC)
flyfishingfreak

Man

mn mountain man-rods looks sick! ThumpUp
weiliwen  
#39 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:00:03 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Great job! I am taking a class with Mudhole sometime in November; sorta expensive, but they do give you all the rod materials needed to make the rod in class, plus a simple rod wrapping jig with a thread tensioner. I'll start with a spinning rod, as that's what they provide in the class but I also got myself pieces for a 9' 5 weight. After I get confident with those, I plan to make the same size rod you have made above, a 7'9" 3 wt. I then might consider making a spinning rod to use in the Lake Michigan harbors for browns and salmon.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
MN Mountain Man  
#40 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:45:43 AM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

DanE, I like that reel. When funds will allow I may pick up a few of those.

Thanks flyfishingfreak!

weiliwen, there's a guy on Ebay, Roger, that sells a 9'5wt and a 9'6wt kit to build a compete fly rod. He's selling them for 51.00! I've built two of the 6wts, one for myself and one for a friend. The blank that comes with the kit is great! The grip and reel seat are great quality. I switched out the guides (single footed) for some snake guides and for 65.00 I have 6wt that's easily worth more than three times the price.

I've never done a spinning rod but I'm curious to hear if you see a big difference in the process. Please post some pics when you're doneThumpUp If you ever have any questions about the fly rod stuff post 'em up.

Edited by user Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:46:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified