Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jimbern  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 9:14:48 AM(UTC)
Jimbern

Man

That Epic 686 is stunning. I'm inspired. That's a long way from my first 'glass fly rod when I was 14— an 8 foot Shakespeare Wonder Rod. I've never built a glass rod mostly because my casting style was more in tune with light, fast graphite. I'm going to have to try this 'fast' glass stuff.

BTW: Here's a photo of a simple dryer rig made from a couple dollars in parts— PVC, nylon screws, and a geared 11 RPM clock motor (which is a tad slower than I would prefer). The motor was from a surplus supply store at a cost of $3. I built many rods on this little jig.

UserPostedImage
NE IA Drifter  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 9:43:14 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The fast glass seems to be an interesting balance between glass and graphite. I like the idea of glass (although I've never fished with glass RollEyes ) but wanted something that was somewhat versatile. I chose the 476 because it's light and will be fun to fish on the smaller streams as well as the rivers here in CO. It's also describe as being faster than the 480 which gives me confidence it will fight the wind better. The shortcoming is the length. At 7'6" it will be decent for the streams but difficult mending across rivers. No expert but what I've picked up is that it's difficult to make glass rods at lower weights and longer lengths. I did see someone with a 10' 5wt glass blank on the fiberglass forum however.

Long story short I'm excited to build the rod and fish it. Glass definitely seems to be resurging, is anyone fishing glass in the driftless?
MNFishhunter  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 11:13:34 AM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

Custom 686 and 990 for warm water and a collection of glass that runs from two weight to nine for all the Driftless species. The older Fenwick series ff807 and an ff806 are my favorites. The Epic 686 is has to be one of the best tapers out there for glass.

Edited by user Sunday, February 14, 2016 11:15:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MN Mountain Man  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 11:15:34 AM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

Is the process of building a glass rod any different from graphite? I've considered trying a bamboo build but they seem a little more challenging and require more investment.
NE IA Drifter  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 11:55:43 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

From what I can tell there isn't a difference. There are unsanded blanks that might have an extra step but I haven't looked into that and not sure what those are.

The epic website doesn't work well with the iPad so I can't grab a link but they have a instruction manual for their build kits available for download if you want to see their process.

Edited by user Sunday, February 14, 2016 12:06:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MN Mountain Man  
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 12:34:55 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

NE IA I check that out and it looks the same/very similar. I'll probably try a glass build soon as I recently build at 9' 4 weight on a very low modulus graphite blank and I love the slower action. It has become my Excalibur.

I finished my build this morning and now I'm just letting the epoxy set. Check it out if interested
NE IA Drifter  
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 12:46:17 PM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Very cool! Check out this thread, it goes step by step in the guys build process definitely has it down:
http://fiberglassflyrodd...opic.php?f=6&t=43696
Jimbern  
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 1:32:01 PM(UTC)
Jimbern

Man

Maybe it's standard practice on glass, but I've never used a plug in the blank for the reel seat on graphite. Seems it just adds weight. On my graphite builds I try to cut weight by every tiny fraction of an ounce I can. This means light wire guides, light reel seat hardware plus I tend to avoid super dense hardwoods for seat inserts— ironwood, and ebony. Never had a reel seat break off.

I also noticed some folks wrap guides on glass with silk instead of nylon. Silk is typical for bamboo. If you really want to refine your wrapping skill, try the much finer and delicate Pearsall's silk. Unforgiving.

Jared  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 7:45:14 AM(UTC)
Jared

Good timing on this thread, I just bought an Epic kit myself. After casting MNFishhunter's a year or two ago, I needed one badly and finally pulled the trigger this month. I went with the kit since it's my first build and the Epic kits are really well regarded by first time builders. I'm sure it won't be the last.

I've devolved into a full blown glass nerd, I love the more moderate actions. The Epic's are definitely not the sloppy noodles that come to mind when you think of old cheap glass rods, they have a lot of power. Especially when I was living in the Driftless, I didn't feel the need for 70 foot casts, so glass really shines. Nice accurate short range presentation. With fast graphite, I just don't feel the same sensitivity. Also (hopefully without jinxing myself) it seems I almost never break fish off on glass. The more moderate taper acts as a better shock absorber.

Jimbern, thanks for sharing that photo of your dryer. Where do you get the nylon screws? Available in hardware stores? Also, how is the motor connected to the pvc?
"I often wonder why anyone as lazy, as fond of fishing and so little concerned with dogma as myself should have chosen such a hard path"
-Roderick Haig-Brown
NE IA Drifter  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 15, 2016 8:12:58 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Jared wrote:
Good timing on this thread, I just bought an Epic kit myself. After casting MNFishhunter's a year or two ago, I needed one badly and finally pulled the trigger this month. I went with the kit since it's my first build and the Epic kits are really well regarded by first time builders. I'm sure it won't be the last.

I've devolved into a full blown glass nerd, I love the more moderate actions. The Epic's are definitely not the sloppy noodles that come to mind when you think of old cheap glass rods, they have a lot of power. Especially when I was living in the Driftless, I didn't feel the need for 70 foot casts, so glass really shines. Nice accurate short range presentation. With fast graphite, I just don't feel the same sensitivity. Also (hopefully without jinxing myself) it seems I almost never break fish off on glass. The more moderate taper acts as a better shock absorber.

Jimbern, thanks for sharing that photo of your dryer. Where do you get the nylon screws? Available in hardware stores? Also, how is the motor connected to the pvc?

What kit did you end up going with?