Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tedwin183  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 14, 2016 6:47:16 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

Hello All:

I've been trying to get out once a weekend and have found only a few patterns are moving fish. Mainly, I have been getting them on size 16 jig and tungsten bead Pink Squirrels tied in the Bethke original style. I've gotten some follows on Black and red size 8 Slumpbusters, but no fish on it. Flies I've tried but absolutely no response to: size 16 pink or orange scud, size 16, 18 black thread with red wire ice-cream cone midge, size 14 jig and tungsten Guide's Choice Hares Ear, size 16 pheasant tail.

So what else are you using that have gotten fish?
Sponsor
briz  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 7:48:41 AM(UTC)
briz

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
been finding meat eaters on leeches and buggers down deep and slow. have also been picking up fish with some darker scuds with some pink and squirrels. I've also had my midges and pheasant tails presentations mostly ignored. the weather and water temp seem to be more important lately. Some days the steams seem devoid of life and other days they don't seem to be very picky.
Skimmer  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 8:35:00 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Over here on the east side of things the majority of my fish have been caught on black zebra midges wrapped with red wire, interesting that these have been producing much better than silver wire. Pink squirrels have done pretty well. I've tried prince nymphs, leaches,pheasant tails, buggers, cone heads and more with minimal results. Honorable mention goes to the rainbow warrior.
tedwin183  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:56:12 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

Skimmer wrote:
Over here on the east side of things the majority of my fish have been caught on black zebra midges wrapped with red wire, interesting that these have been producing much better than silver wire. Pink squirrels have done pretty well. I've tried prince nymphs, leaches,pheasant tails, buggers, cone heads and more with minimal results. Honorable mention goes to the rainbow warrior.

I keep returning to "How to tie" videos of the Rainbow Warrior after I get back from Dane/Iowa County. So much stain lately, I feel like your only shot at getting a fly noticed is to have it be obnoxiously bright.
William Schlafer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:58:59 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
tedwin183 wrote:

I keep returning to "How to tie" videos of the Rainbow Warrior after I get back from Dane/Iowa County. So much stain lately, I feel like your only shot at getting a fly noticed is to have it be obnoxiously bright.

Actually, just the opposite.

Although not a hard and fast rule darker colors for streamers, buggers, leech patterns actually work best in stained or muddy waters. Use lighter colors for clearer water. Dirty water is also easier to fish, as the Trout aren't as spooky and there is less chance of them detecting you.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
tedwin183  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 12:39:30 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

William Schlafer wrote:
tedwin183 wrote:

Actually, just the opposite.

Although not a hard and fast rule darker colors for streamers, buggers, leech patterns actually work best in stained or muddy waters. Use lighter colors for clearer water. Dirty water is also easier to fish, as the Trout aren't as spooky and there is less chance of them detecting you.

-Bill

Yeah I'm familiar in that rule of thumb. I meant shinier flies. I've always had tons of luck with flashback type flies when the stain is on. Flashback pheasant tails, krystal buggers, etc.