Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2016 11:14:08 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We will be building about 20 lunker structures on May 14 for work on Spring Coulee. This is a joint project with Coulee Region TU, Blackhawk TU (Janesville area), and Mike Leonard and crew of the DNR. Work begins at 9 a.m. and we should be done by noon. Once the work is done, lunch is provided by CRTU. Exact work locations aren't yet determined, but I'll post that on the CRTU web site and Facebook page when I have those details. All the tools will be provided, so just bring some work gloves if you need them.

On June 11 we will be doing some brushing work on Tainter Creek along with the Aldo Leopold and SEWTU chapters. Work begins at 9 a.m. and SEWTU is providing lunch at noon. This will take place at the intersection of Tainter Hollow Road West and Tainter Road East.

Anyone is welcome to help with this work. You don't have to be a card carrying TU member or know a secret hand shake to come join the fun. Flapper

Any questions, let me know.

curtrees@gmail.com
608-317-3747

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
trapper  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2016 4:36:32 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Last years event on Tainter was fun with great food provided by SEWTU.
Hopefully this year, HEK can show his casting skills againThumpUp

Observation
There is shit ton of rock on site on both lower and upper Spring Coulee.
Mike Lenard and his WIDNR crew, based out of La Crosse, always do a great job.
We are blessed to have these professionals working to improve Trout fishing.
Get Reel
WI-fly  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:44:54 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
trapper wrote:
Last years event on Tainter was fun with great food provided by SEWTU.
Hopefully this year, HEK can show his casting skills againThumpUp

Observation
There is shit ton of rock on site on both lower and upper Spring Coulee.
Mike Lenard and his WIDNR crew, based out of La Crosse, always do a great job.
We are blessed to have these professionals working to improve Trout fishing.

Agreed Trapper about the professionals who do all this work. Vetrano (albeit retired), Weeks, Leonard and crew are all passionate about the resources and do so much to keep the streams and surrounding environs healthy. Duke Welter told the banquet crew that there has been $8.2 MILLION of funding designated for this area (Driftless) for habitat preservation and other work. Lots of organizations have been part of this, so it's satisfying to see so many people work together to do good work. I called Leonard a few weeks ago to see if the DNR needed any rock or gravel purchased, and he told me no (a good thing). Jeff Hastings and crew have pulled in so many grant dollars, the DNR is set with materials for years to come. What is needed now is a few people to come in an do some labor once in a while (brushing, lunker building, etc.).

What I'm passionate about is to get people interested in the coldwater environments so that there are plenty of advocates out there when our elected officials try to do something stupid, like sell off our water rights and other resources. We really need to get young people out there too on these streams so that there are generations of allies equipped to do good work for these streams.

I'm starting to get a bit preachy about this, so I better step away and sip a cold one or five. All that being said, all you DTA people should consider joining a work day in your area.

Amen.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram