Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
procupine mountains Options
newflyguy920
#1 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 1:32:07 AM

Just curious if the procupine mountains rivers that are more inland are good for brook trout and browns. why is it so hard to get some of these rustic cabins. and how does the camping work? thanks pm me if you u want
Skimmer
#2 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 1:35:59 AM

Campsites used to be first come, first serve. They have implemented a reservation system now. Haven't been back since they did that. Seemed stupid to me. Cabins get rented by families or big groups. There are trout in the streams but they can be hard to fish. I personally probably won't be going back any time soon. The place is a zoo. Almost better of just driving up the peninsula on logging roads and camping on a stream or the beach if you want to get away.
newflyguy920
#3 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 1:38:52 AM

is it really that bad
Skimmer
#4 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 1:45:56 AM

It's a neat spot, don't get me wrong. Go in the off season. "Wilderness" is a bit of stretch. Its designated MI state wilderness which is much more lax then federal wilderness. You're never more than a few miles from a road / tail head. Day trippers are never out of walking distance. It's become super popular. The tour buses with people wearing bear bells at the lake of the clouds overlook are what sealed the deal for me. You can walk / camp majority of the park in 4 days
NBrevitz
#5 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 3:33:26 AM

There are literally thousands of streams in the UP, don't go where the trolls congregate. I'd suggest the L'Anse area or the Fox, Escanaba, and Two Hearted systems including tribs.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz
#6 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 3:37:27 AM

http://www.michigan.gov/...nr/2014_UP_463811_7.pdf
I wasn't exaggerating... Check out the W UP, have fun and don't say anything if you find a secret. I only named those streams because they're legendary at this point.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
fish4life
#7 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 2:37:32 PM

Way Way back before I new better. Always a good way to start off.

But went to school in the UP there was a creek behind the apartments and I would shoot little brookies with my BB gun out of the stream thru my beedroom window in the back yard.

jim
>>~}}}}}}'>
briz
#8 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 4:09:07 PM

went there this weekend and saw 5 people, it was a zoo! Actually roads weren't open, snow was heavy and I was the only one earning my turns and skiing. Lake of the clouds is stupid busy but the view makes the $$$. Took two short trips there last year camping and inland lakes usually gave up a brookie or two for dinner. A lot of the shoreline on the lakes was pretty thick and was the only time I used my spinner rod last year.
Skimmer
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 4:40:27 AM

First tracks on a southern Michigan UP logging road today. It was soooooo good. Almost got the truck burried
NBrevitz
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3:43:39 PM

Skimmer wrote:
First tracks on a southern Michigan UP logging road today. It was soooooo good. Almost got the truck burried

What watershed? I'm just curious given that the W UP got hammered by snow recently. I drove those roads last year and they had heavy snow in mid April!