Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Wisconsin Conservation Congress - Remove the AO rule Options
Mark Dahlquist
#1 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2016 7:20:00 PM

This year's WI Conservation Congress meetings are being held on Mon. April 11th. These meetings are important and give those who enjoy the outdoors a chance to weigh in on potential rule/regulation changes. Trout fishermen who showed up at last year's meeting were instrumental in changing the regulation to extend the length of the trout season. The meetings are open to everyone and state residency is not required to vote on the issues being presented at the meetings. Each county has a designated meeting location which can be found by visiting the WI DNR website.

Question 14 reads as follows:
Do you favor eliminating the "artificial only" restriction from the regular trout season regulations? YES_____ NO_____

The Wisconsin Conservation Congress has joined the effort to make the rules regulating hunting, fishing, and trapping more understandable to the state's sportsmen and women and thus add the their enjoyment of the outdoors. At its most recent meeting, the members of the WCC Rule Simplification Committee advanced a proposal to remove artificial only restrictions from all trout waters in the state. The WCC Executive Council voted to forward the proposal for public input. Surveys of trout anglers in WI show preferences for the use of both artificial and live baits and this proposal would respect the rights of both. While some studies have shown that post-release mortality of trout caught with bait can exceed that of trout caught with artificial lures, there are no rigorous studies on population-level effects of post-release mortality of trout caught by bait in WI streams.

Do you favor eliminating the "artificial only" restriction from the regular trout season regulations? YES_____ NO_____

Vote YES to question 14
-Mark
Board Owner

TreArrow
#2 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2016 8:23:52 PM

Or vote NO

A yes vote would mean trying to prevent the DNR from EVER using bait restrictions on C & R waters. DNR uses C & R regs on some high pressure streams as well as unique or vulnerable populations (like the brook trout strongholds of the Namekagon). Less than 2.5% of the streams in the state have special regs and even fewer have C & R regs with no bait, and most of these streams have these regs only on specific stretches. Its well documented that bait fishing has a mortality of 7-25% and in some streams this may be an unacceptable amount of fishing caused mortality. While I agree that most driftless streams can handle harvest and hooking mortality from live bait, this might not always be the case, and certainly some Northern streams or unique fisheries like the Spring ponds of the KM state forest, warrant additional protection. I grew up near Paradise Springs in Waukesha county and those trout are already hit pretty hard by poachers, doubt they would last the year with live bait given the fishing pressure they receive. Plus there maybe other ecological reasons for restricting live bait like trying to prevent the spread of invasive species.

If you think specific streams should allow bait fishing, why not change those specific regs instead of tying the hands of the DNR statewide.

Either way, it would be great to have more trout anglers show up at the Spring Hearings to have their say!
trapper
#3 Posted : Friday, April 08, 2016 9:30:16 PM

Starting in regular season, all waters that Jorden Weeks manages will have no bait restrictions including Timber Coulee which will become catch and release with no bait restrictions.
Get Reel

Guillermo
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 2:00:40 AM

This should be looked at on a stream-by-stream basis, not all waters are the same and the regulations should reflect that. Uniformity across the entire state is silly and irresponsible.
trapper
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 2:34:18 AM

Guillermo wrote:
This should be looked at on a stream-by-stream basis, not all waters are the same and the regulations should reflect that. Uniformity across the entire state is silly and irresponsible.

I respect the professionals with the passion and schooling. Thank you
Get Reel

Guillermo
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 8:12:14 AM

trapper wrote:
Guillermo wrote:

I respect the professionals with the passion and schooling. Thank you

So do I.
Mark Dahlquist
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 3:52:58 PM

The WCC and any fisheries biologist I've ever spoken too tells us there is no scientific basis to exclude the use of bait on any stream. I understand some trout populations are low numbers and fragile. Therefore those waters are often catch and release. If you get s deep hook you cut the line at the mouth and leave it in. I've caught a number of trout with a previous hook in them. And in time those hooks fall out.

What does in fact kill trout are those deep hooked with spinners or crank baits. Treble hooks do a number on fish that deep swallow. It's the same silly arguement over and over for 20 years of my life. If I was fishing fragile water I would do it with s fly or a worm before a treble hook.

Go talk to your fisheries biologists. The "politics" around trout regs are people wants and beliefs, NOT what science tells us.
-Mark
Board Owner

TreArrow
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 4:17:50 PM

Except numerous scientific studies dating back at least to the 1960s have shown that bait fishing has a higher mortality than other forms of fishing. Again whether that additional mortality is acceptable depends on the fishery. One size doesn't fit all with fisheries management.

http://www.tandfonline.c...0%3APHMORT%3E2.3.CO%3B2
http://www.tandfonline.c...7%3AMOACCT%3E2.3.CO%3B2
http://www.tandfonline.c....1080/10641269409388555
http://www.tandfonline.c...0%3AAMAOHM%3E2.3.CO%3B2

Mark Dahlquist
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 4:36:41 PM

Yeah not going to debate you. Anyone can find studied to point to their opinion. Again talk to Marty Engel or The folks in Lanesboro. I know from personal experience what a killer a treble hook is. A single hook deep is not a death sentence. If you think you cannot get it out nicely don't play surgeon. You might as well ban treble hooks too. They are far worse than bait angling.
-Mark
Board Owner

TreArrow
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 09, 2016 5:12:38 PM

Not just 1 study, a mountain of evidence, and the scientific consensus within the field. Treble hooks also cause more mortality, the MN DNR bans them on Lake Superior tribs along with live bait for that reason.

Besides mortality, its indisputable that live bait fishing helps spread invasive species. Worms themselves are invasive in the lake states and are spread by fisherman. Quetico banned live bait a few years ago to stop earthworms from invading forests there and prevent invaders like rusty crayfish from hitching a ride in a bait bucket.

There are numerous reasons why a fisheries manager might want to limit the use of live bait. Let the people with the degrees and years of experience decide how to manage, they are usually right and have greatly improved the quality of fishing in both MN and WI over the last couple decades.