Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 1:14:18 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
TreArrow wrote:
Except numerous scientific studies dating back at least to the 1960s have shown that bait fishing has a higher mortality than other forms of fishing. Again whether that additional mortality is acceptable depends on the fishery. One size doesn't fit all with fisheries management.

http://www.tandfonline.c...70%3APHMORT%3E2.3.CO%3B2
http://www.tandfonline.c...37%3AMOACCT%3E2.3.CO%3B2
http://www.tandfonline.c...0.1080/10641269409388555
http://www.tandfonline.c...60%3AAMAOHM%3E2.3.CO%3B2

"One size does not fit all"

This.
Mark Dahlquist  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 1:51:38 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We have seven southeast MN trout streams which don't allow bait. All other streams you can use bait Jan 1 - Oct 15. Nothing going to hell here. Wisconsin is getting with the times first by following suit with the extended seasons. Now time to do the same to lift the ban on bait.

I used to have a stack of papers two feet tall explaining why there is no reason to limit bait use. Got bored debating. Now I just fish and I do so with worms primarily. It's a primary food source for trout. I'm always amazed at how many fly anglers ignore worm patterns like the San Juan.
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
TreArrow  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 2:53:28 PM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

I recognize that bait fishing has a time and place, I do it from time to time, but I just don't think we should pass rules that tie the hands of the DNR or that apply a one size fits all solution to trout management. You want bait on specific waters? lets have that debate. Statewide though I don't think it makes any sense, especially given the diversity of fisheries in the state and the different goals of management for individual streams.
WI-fly  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:53:43 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
trapper wrote:
Guillermo wrote:
This should be looked at on a stream-by-stream basis, not all waters are the same and the regulations should reflect that. Uniformity across the entire state is silly and irresponsible.

I respect the professionals with the passion and schooling. Thank you

I agree with you Trapper, especially when that professional is Mr. Weeks.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
WI-fly  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:57:23 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The official stance on this question from Wisconsin TU is to vote "no," for the precise reason many of you have previously stated. This would limit what our DNR biologists are able to do for each body of water. In some places, it makes sense to have AO restrictions.

=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
NBrevitz  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 12:40:14 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I think people are worried about Wisconsin turning into Michigan. For example, the holy waters sections of the Manistee and Au Sable have enormous populations of Trout. Harvest is allowed, but anything other than a fly will have you ticketed. I have nothing against fly purists whatsoever, but that is BS all the way around... Sheerly political, as the DNR only put in the regulation after it had been strongly lobbied by the purists. As a result, I can't fish the blue ribbon water 10 min from my cabin.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
AKinMN  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:53:38 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
NBrevitz wrote:
I think people are worried about Wisconsin turning into Michigan. For example, the holy waters sections of the Manistee and Au Sable have enormous populations of Trout. Harvest is allowed, but anything other than a fly will have you ticketed. I have nothing against fly purists whatsoever, but that is BS all the way around... Sheerly political, as the DNR only put in the regulation after it had been strongly lobbied by the purists. As a result, I can't fish the blue ribbon water 10 min from my cabin.

Get a fly rod, actually get a Spey rod.

Edited by user Sunday, April 10, 2016 3:55:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AKinMN  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 4:16:55 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
While I understand this topic has been brought up in regards to upcoming hearings, there is a glaring issue that so many anglers overlook regardless of the methods they use to catch fish. There is mounting evidence that cameras kill more fish than bait, treble hooks, triple articulated flies, etc. The grip-n-grin hero shot, that's what really needs to be examined.

Edited by user Sunday, April 10, 2016 4:17:57 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

trapper  
#19 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 5:55:50 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
AKinMN wrote:
While I understand this topic has been brought up in regards to upcoming hearings, there is a glaring issue that so many anglers overlook regardless of the methods they use to catch fish. There is mounting evidence that cameras kill more fish than bait, treble hooks, triple articulated flies, etc. The grip-n-grin hero shot, that's what really needs to be examined.

Could happen ThumpUp
Get Reel
NBrevitz  
#20 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 6:43:51 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
AKinMN wrote:
NBrevitz wrote:

Get a fly rod, actually get a Spey rod.

I have a fly rod. Two actually, and I'm about to buy a 4 weight. I just prefer throwing spinners when that is more effective. And my point was the fact that this regulation is in no way necessary, the upper Manistee is like the upper Kinni, but with a handful of big fish present as well. I'd rather see it as no kill water with only bait banned, this isn't a harvest issue, it's an equal rites issue. The reg basically gives spin-fishermen the finger while allowing fly fishermen to keep trophies if they choose. BS if you ask me
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."