Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
linzd19  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 5:34:25 PM(UTC)
linzd19

Man

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help or any tips- I broke the tip of my fly rod today while out on the stream. I was snagged up and when I went to remove the snag I set my rod on a log, but when I was looking away the tip of the rod got into the current, the current took it under the log, and pop... broke off about a foot from the tip.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for if there is a way to fix it? Does Cabela's or any fly shops have a way of fixing that sort of thing? It's a clean break so I'm just trying to figure out my options. If I do have to get a new rod, does anyone have any suggestions for a guy who is still a beginner and fishing a lot of small streams. Thanks everyone, anything helps.

P.S. it was a good day until that point- caught around 10 brookies in little over an hour (so having to end was the most disappointing part!).
Sponsor
EddieRivard  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 7:00:23 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
What brand and model is your fly rod?
linzd19  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 7:09:18 AM(UTC)
linzd19

Man

EddieRivard wrote:
What brand and model is your fly rod?

It is the Cabela's RLS+ 9ft 5wt moderate/fast action. http://www.cabelas.com/p...LS-Fly-Combo/1555116.uts
depenner  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:21:00 AM(UTC)
depenner

I've fixed a couple of broken tips by splicing with a piece of music/spring wire. Basically find a close fit in diameter and epoxy in place. I've never really noticed a difference in action, but the breaks I've had have been within inches of the tip-top.

david
lightningo2  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:28:09 AM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Depending on when you purchased the rod, you might be able to return it. Cabelas has a 1 year warranty on the rods " Cabela's return policy applies." I don't think Cabelas will repair it, they may just give you a new one. If not, ... it's a good excuse to purchase a new rod!!!!. Try a St Croix, or an Echo fly rod. I have a St Croix and it's an excellent rod. My first ECHO snapped which was due to a manufacturer defect but $35.00 later I had a new rod in my hand. Both decent companies.
lightningo2  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:33:59 AM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

It may be worth it to spend a bit more on a slightly more expensive rod. In my experience they usually stand up to a beating while out fishing.
Skimmer  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 8:37:26 AM(UTC)
Skimmer

Whatever you buy make sure it has a lifetime warranty! Most manufacturers have some program these days.
DanE  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 7:19:50 AM(UTC)
DanE

lightningo2 wrote:
Depending on when you purchased the rod, you might be able to return it. Cabelas has a 1 year warranty on the rods " Cabela's return policy applies." I don't think Cabelas will repair it, they may just give you a new one. If not, ... it's a good excuse to purchase a new rod!!!!. Try a St Croix, or an Echo fly rod. I have a St Croix and it's an excellent rod. My first ECHO snapped which was due to a manufacturer defect but $35.00 later I had a new rod in my hand. Both decent companies.

I can verify that they will replace it, no questions asked within the 1st year. I broke my 1st fly rod which was Cabelas brand, entirely my fault. I took it in and asked if they could repair, which the said they couldn't. The next words out of his mouth were to take it to customer service to get a refund, even though I told him it was my fault that it broke. I did and upgraded as long as they stood behind it.
linzd19  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 9:36:54 AM(UTC)
linzd19

Man

I can verify that they will replace it, no questions asked within the 1st year. I broke my 1st fly rod which was Cabelas brand, entirely my fault. I took it in and asked if they could repair, which the said they couldn't. The next words out of his mouth were to take it to customer service to get a refund, even though I told him it was my fault that it broke. I did and upgraded as long as they stood behind it.

That's great news- did you need proof of purchase like a receipt or anything? My only dilemma is that this rod was a gift...
kschaefer3  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 10:42:46 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

lightningo2 wrote:
It may be worth it to spend a bit more on a slightly more expensive rod. In my experience they usually stand up to a beating while out fishing.

I agree until you get to the very highest end rods. Imo, they break the easiest because the walls are thinnest because they try to make them super light. The Sage One for example, is far from a "durable" rod.