Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:41:09 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
So after having a discussion with Brevitz this afternoon about how this board has been way too classy lately, with all the talk of crane fly patterns and streamer fishing and fly rod building, I decided it was time to white trash up the place a little bit. What better way to do that than to go worm dunking in a beaver pond?

I know these things are bad for most streams, but this particular river is plenty cold, and even these huge dams that have been in place for years don't seem to be mucking things up too much. The number of 12-14" brookies I've caught and heard of being caught in the early season alone lead me to believe the fish are doing just fine. Plus, these ponds make for a great day of easy fishing - perfect for a newbie who isn't ready for a bridge to bridge slog but just wants to catch a trout. With the rain today, it was just me, but public land + beaver pond full of brookies means I'll be back with any friend I can con into going trout fishing with me Razz

This dam was about 4 feet tall and backed up the river for a good 1/3-1/2 mile behind it.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Biggest fish of the day, came to about 11". My biggest challenge today was to put my spinner (or worm) into the spot that looked likely to hold a bigger fish, because there are so many dinks that it's actually difficult not to spook the big ones with all the tiny bastards.

UserPostedImage

Cute little kype on that guy.

UserPostedImage

And this one is for all the fly guys who make sure to get a picture of their fish with the fly still in it's jaw Flapper

UserPostedImage
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
DanE  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:02:18 PM(UTC)
DanE

If it weren't such a long drive, I'd totally come out there and chase brookies with you! (As long as you don't bring Brevitz along LOL)
shebs  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:03:12 PM(UTC)
shebs

DanE wrote:
If it weren't such a long drive, I'd totally come out there and chase brookies with you! (As long as you don't bring Brevitz along LOL)

LOL

There's always Troutstock!

He'd out fish us both anyway, fuck that guy Razz

In all seriousness though, I owe him big time. If it weren't for him sharing some (tons of) intel with me, I'd probably still be wasting my life chasing dinker browns on hay creek in MN. He and I are on a quest for a 16" brook trout, and we've got some pretty solid leads...

Edited by user Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:06:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Skimmer  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:12:17 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
White Trash things up? I don't see a single can of ice beer, mullets, dilapidated lawn chair for fishin' out of, or anything else fun...
HookJaw  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:24:23 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man
United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
ThumpUp Nicely done Shebs!

...it was getting 'way too classy' for me, too. Thanks for posting!

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
shebs  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:28:05 PM(UTC)
shebs

Skimmer wrote:
White Trash things up? I don't see a single can of ice beer, mullets, dilapidated lawn chair for fishin' out of, or anything else fun...

Shit, I better up my game - I took my beer cans home with me. Though, in typical Wisco fashion, there were about a half dozen tires scattered through that mile of stream...
Skimmer  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:00:40 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
shebs wrote:
Skimmer wrote:

Shit, I better up my game

I'll be waiting for your next post, I'd better see at least 1/3 things I mentioned 2 would be better, or I'll start a campaign to have Eddie ban you
NBrevitz  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:29:50 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Shebs, nicely done. Thank you for making this page feel more like home again.

Dan E, come out here and he or I would put you on tons of 12"+ Brook Trout. Great year classes 5-6 years ago are all grown up.

Skimmer, idk about Ice Beer, but will PBR, stocker Rainbows, my friend who calls himself Joe Dirt, and a 870 12 gauge with OO do the trick?
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:33:46 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Idk how I'll tie the shotgun in but I'll figure something out.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
TreArrow  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:19:06 AM(UTC)
TreArrow

Man

That beaver pond is where I caught my tiger trout last year. I think that stream is one of the better ones in the state to catch them at least according to the DNR shock numbers.