Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:38:37 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I'm hunting in Juneau County early next week and this will be my first experience with Spring hunting past 1 pm (shooting hours end at 1 in Illinois). I doubt behavior is much different at 3 pm than at 1, but should I expect anything wildly different late in the afternoon or towards sunset? I've done a lot of scouting at that time of day, but it's really been to look for signs or trying to roost some birds. Are they still receptive to calling late in the day? Are they more interested in feeding? Finding a roost tree? Anyone have any experience from which I could benefit? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Sponsor
galleon2  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:26:47 AM(UTC)
galleon2

My opinion is that they are at least as receptive, if not more receptive to calling late in the day. Two weeks ago in Juneau County, the birds would flock back up and head to roost at 6-7 pm. What that means is that the flocks were generally dispersed before then, or less tightly flocked. In different areas but within gunshot hearing distance, a buddy and I each called one in at 5 pm. We shot within 15 seconds of each other. If you hear a gobble at that time of the day, my opinion is that the late afternoon gobbler is easier to kill (because he is on the ground and looking) than the gobblers you hear in the early morning - many of which are still in the tree when they're gobbling their heads off. Until they hit the roost, they are very huntable.
Skimmer  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 4:16:38 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Got my bird today in Sheboygan county. Our birds are still in larger 12+ bird flocks. Calling and decoys weren't enough to pull the Toms away from their ladies. Got this Jake sneaking around up and over hills. I wish I could have held out for a Tom but I'm moving soon and have a lot to get done. Bird in hand works for me! Happy hunting!
trapper  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 4:39:19 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hell Ya! They taste better also
Get Reel
DanE  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 5:54:21 PM(UTC)
DanE

My son Michael had 2nd season. He got this one last Thursday night right before sunset. My sister and brother in law have about 8 acres at their place just outside of town. We went silent mode and got between the birds and the roost, as they have been roosting in the same area every night. It was more like a deer hunt than a typical call them in turkey hunt, but it worked. Just another idea if you can find out where they roost and the last field area they strut before going to roost.

UserPostedImage
trapper  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 29, 2016 6:18:29 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Parenting done rightThumpUp
Thanks
Get Reel
Pete  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 6:09:44 PM(UTC)
Pete

Gentlemen, thank you all. You've given me some very good information and I'll be putting it to use tomorrow. Thanks again.
big_river_bum  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 2:35:17 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I shot my bird yesterday at 1pm. we had given up and were walking last half mile of logging road back to the truck. stopped and called once. he gobbled right away. so we drop back down the valley(southern Crawford county). my dad says he'll stay behind me and walk back and forth calling. he tells me to get up hillside and stand behind tree and shoot that F***er when it walks past lol. I didn't get 20 yards from him and the gobble was so close I had to freeze while climbing steep hillside. saw it's head to my left at 10 yards. dropped to my knees and swung the gun around. he turned spooked cuz he saw my dad. shot him and he rolled down hill and died at my dads feet.

lesson- if you do get a bird to respond to calling in the afternoon. shut up and get ready. he's lonely and possible VERY ummm in the mood? that bird had to have covered 500 yards in only a few minutes.

funniest part is. we walked like 5 miles throughout the day. I shot the tom not 20 yards from where we sat at daybreak
DanE  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 7:07:43 AM(UTC)
DanE

big_river_bum wrote:
I shot my bird yesterday at 1pm. we had given up and were walking last half mile of logging road back to the truck. stopped and called once. he gobbled right away. so we drop back down the valley(southern Crawford county). my dad says he'll stay behind me and walk back and forth calling. he tells me to get up hillside and stand behind tree and shoot that F***er when it walks past lol. I didn't get 20 yards from him and the gobble was so close I had to freeze while climbing steep hillside. saw it's head to my left at 10 yards. dropped to my knees and swung the gun around. he turned spooked cuz he saw my dad. shot him and he rolled down hill and died at my dads feet.

lesson- if you do get a bird to respond to calling in the afternoon. shut up and get ready. he's lonely and possible VERY ummm in the mood? that bird had to have covered 500 yards in only a few minutes.

funniest part is. we walked like 5 miles throughout the day. I shot the tom not 20 yards from where we sat at daybreak

Nice job Seth, and great story! Interestingly I have had something similar happen twice, early in my turkey hunting days. The only difference was that we stayed put from daybreak until noon, and had a bird cover lots of distance in a short period of time at 11:30 AM. I think this time of the year they breed the available hens and then are raring to go when the hens head off to nest. I think they remember hearing the calling from the am in that area, and when they here it again, they come charging in. I could be completely full of shit, but I have had it happen twice and now you had a similar experience. ThumpUp
Pete  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 7:52:39 AM(UTC)
Pete

DanE wrote:
big_river_bum wrote:

Nice job Seth, and great story! Interestingly I have had something similar happen twice, early in my turkey hunting days. The only difference was that we stayed put from daybreak until noon, and had a bird cover lots of distance in a short period of time at 11:30 AM. I think this time of the year they breed the available hens and then are raring to go when the hens head off to nest. I think they remember hearing the calling from the am in that area, and when they here it again, they come charging in. I could be completely full of shit, but I have had it happen twice and now you had a similar experience. ThumpUp

I'd agree with your assessment of remembering hearing the calling. they're with real hens at day break and won't leave them for one so far away that they can only hear. But once those real hens go off to sit on their eggs, the toms go looking for the ones they heard earlier.

I didn't get one last week, but had action. Monday morning, a couple hours after sunrise (probably after his hens had left him), a gobbler who'd been silent all morning to that point, gobbled; I gave a few yelps and went silent. He came in aggressively but stopped in the corner of the clover field. He was in range, but there were obstructions between us so I couldn't shoot. He strutted for 20 minutes but never made the mistake of three steps to his left and then walked off. I also learned that scratching sounds in dry leaves can be as effective as any yelps, clucks, purrs, cuts, etc. About an hour before sunset on Sunday, I crested a hill to scout a field and the first thing I saw was two red heads. I was moving as quietly as possible, but still must've been making some noise in the dry leaves. But the jakes came trotting towards me (all I can think of was I sounded like a feeding hen; they couldn't see me because trees and underbrush broke up my outline. But as soon as I shouldered my gun, they broke into a run and I missed a low percentage shot cleanly.