Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Josey Wales  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 8:06:14 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

DanE wrote:
My son Michael had 2nd season. He got this one last Thursday night right before sunset. My sister and brother in law have about 8 acres at their place just outside of town. We went silent mode and got between the birds and the roost, as they have been roosting in the same area every night. It was more like a deer hunt than a typical call them in turkey hunt, but it worked. Just another idea if you can find out where they roost and the last field area they strut before going to roost.

UserPostedImage

Awesome! Congrats. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp Wish I would have got hunting gobblers this year
MikeJuran  
#12 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2016 8:08:08 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

big_river_bum wrote:
I shot my bird yesterday at 1pm. we had given up and were walking last half mile of logging road back to the truck. stopped and called once. he gobbled right away. so we drop back down the valley(southern Crawford county). my dad says he'll stay behind me and walk back and forth calling. he tells me to get up hillside and stand behind tree and shoot that F***er when it walks past lol. I didn't get 20 yards from him and the gobble was so close I had to freeze while climbing steep hillside. saw it's head to my left at 10 yards. dropped to my knees and swung the gun around. he turned spooked cuz he saw my dad. shot him and he rolled down hill and died at my dads feet.

lesson- if you do get a bird to respond to calling in the afternoon. shut up and get ready. he's lonely and possible VERY ummm in the mood? that bird had to have covered 500 yards in only a few minutes.

funniest part is. we walked like 5 miles throughout the day. I shot the tom not 20 yards from where we sat at daybreak

Awesome Seth .... didn't have to carry the carcass very far if it fell to your dad's feet! Similar preseason experience(no gun) with my 5 yr old son at the time .... public land (Coulee Experimental Forest) out for a walk and I had my turkey call with .... i yelped from atop the ridge down into the valley and heard a gobble at least 500-600 yards away way down in the valley below. I called a couple times and got gobble responses every time. Sat down against a tree with son Jon in my lap ..... called the bird to 10 yards in just a few minutes, so the bird covered alot of territory uphill. When the bird popped out right in front of us, it gobbled and my son Jon pointed and said 'Look Dad, a turkey' ..... putt, putt, putt ........He still talks about that experience.
Fly Me A River
big_river_bum  
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2016 5:12:00 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
cool!

good to hear that's possible on that property. I've hunted it before to much frustration