Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Big concerns about Springville branch and the Bad Axe Options
TreArrow
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 04, 2016 10:04:14 PM

If the water is too dirty to go into an aquifer I doubt Viroqua is going to be discharging it cleaner than when they withdrew it. This seems like an end run at keeping the costs of water treatment low by not upgrading the level of treatment they do. It also seems likely that this project could warm the stream.
trapper
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 1:24:06 AM

According to my sources, Viroqua would be allowed to pour 300 gal-per minute and at 70 degrees. Not good at all. Most dnr-co-open race ways have a flow of 50-80 gal per minute, this sucks!!
Get Reel

WI-fly
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 1:37:25 AM

EddieRivard wrote:
I've heard of instances where this type of discharge can be beneficial to the health of a trout stream depending in the temperature of the water being discharged. Modern water treatment has good technology. Often the water being discharged is cleaner than the water that is already in the stream.

This could be the case for this permit. We really don't know the impact, so what we are asking for is a public hearing to be able to ask these questions and hopefully get a few answers.
=============

Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.

CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
trapper
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 1:58:54 AM

Hot on this.
Just got off the phone with our new Vernon County Board Chair and rest assured he is a conservationist ThumpUp
Get Reel

WI-fly
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 2:14:26 AM

trapper wrote:
Hot on this.
Just got off the phone with our new Vernon County Board Chair and rest assured he is a conservationist ThumpUp

Thanks Trapper! Much appreciated.
=============

Curt Rees

CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Guillermo
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 05, 2016 6:18:58 AM

Sent a lengthy letter to Mr. Stites. Thanks for the heads up.
s.t.fanatic
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 07, 2016 10:46:20 AM

I routinely catch nice sized brooktrout from a stream that has a sewer pond discharge upstream from where i catch said fish. I also dont have a problem keeping fish to eat out of there.
WI-fly
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2016 2:10:13 PM

If you haven't done so already, please drop an email to Will Stites of the DNR to share your thoughts and request a hearing on this plan to dump wastewater into the Springville branch in the Bad Axe watershed. His email address is will.stites@wisconsin.gov and comments need to be received by May 11.

Here is my email if you need a template.

Mr. Stites,

I live in La Crosse and really enjoy fishing and camping in the Driftless area. I particularly enjoy fishing for trout and am currently the president of the Coulee Region chapter of Trout Unlimited. We have approximately 275 members who enjoy fishing and advocating for healthy coldwater environments.

I have concerns about the City of Viroqua's request to dump wastewater into the Springville branch in the Bad Axe watershed. I've fished that area several times and find it to be a very beautiful part of the world. I worry about the impact the wastewater would have on this piece of water and the land around the stream. What will happen with an increase in water flow? Will these plans have a negative impact on water temperatures and therefore the creatures that live in and near the stream? Are there substances in the wastewater that will negatively effect the health of the stream and its inhabitants?

I respectfully request that a public hearing be held so that these questions and others could be addressed.

Sincerely,

Curt Rees
=============

Curt Rees

CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
DanE
#19 Posted : Monday, May 09, 2016 6:32:59 PM

Thanks for posting that Curt! Hopefully it will help some people for a template, as not everyone is good a wordsmithing a letter to send in.

P.S. I sent my letter into Mr. Stites late last week. ThumpUp
trapper
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:44:07 AM

Update @ TU work day on Spring Ck .Sat
Get Reel