Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Go to last post Go to first unread
Kickapoo swinger  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 11:07:43 AM(UTC)
Kickapoo swinger

Any of you guys fishing these in SW Wi?
Right now, at this very moment, it is the latest that it has ever been.
#2 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 11:27:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Not SW Wisconsin so much but I've caught plenty of Trout on Galloups creations. My favorite are white, yellow and brown Sex Dungeons because you can cast them with floating line and they get below the surface pretty fast so you can start stripping as soon as they hit the water. My new profile photo is me with a Brown I caught using the Heifer Groomer which is essentially an articulated version of the Zoo Cougar. I was using 160 grain full sink when casting the Heifer Groomer since it is unweighted. It's easier to stick with the Dungeon and Floating line in my opinion. I've caught trout stripping them in at a medium pace as well as with a more violent jerk strip retrieve.
#3 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 11:36:48 AM(UTC)

I have not but have started fishing more and bigger streamers. I wouldn't fish them in a small headwater, but I bet they would be good on some of the bigger waters in the area.
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 1:40:56 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I'm a fan. I tied up a bunch of Peanut Envys and Sex Dungeons over the winter. Haven't really fished big enough water to try them out just yet. Waiting for that moment when I see a big Trout feeding in a deep pool somewhere, and then dangle one of those bad boys in front of him to see what happens.

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:39:31 AM(UTC)

I had recently started throwing larger buggers and a few weeks ago found a site that had a great deal on larger articulated flies(haven't started tying yet) ordered and received on Friday. Anywho I went out on Sunday, bright sun, mid-afternoon just to give them a shot. I'm converted, the action those flies have is great. I was chucking circus peanuts/peanut envy's; little bit of a struggle on the 5wt but do-able. Tried a 7wt at a different stream and was able to case the larger more bulky natural flies(sex dungeon, drunk and disorderly) with ease. 6wt seems to be the sweet spot. I know Eddies covered it in the past but just in the few hours I was out there you could really figure out how important having the right leader/length was when matching it to the action of your fly along with what type of water you were fishing. Fun stuff.