Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Skimmer  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2016 7:43:29 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

I'm working here in Appleton for the next few months. I've heard of trout streams up in Shawno county, is there anything closer? I've looked at the maps but any advice would be appreciated. I'll have plenty of time after work and would rather spend it outside than in the hotel. Thanks guys!
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:45:01 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

Best to check the WI DNR website. I grew up in that area and fly fishing for trout is not popular there due to Lake Winnebago and Fox River system. Your best bet for trout would be to try Waupaca, Stevens Point, North of Green Bay, Two Rivers and Sheboygan areas.

There is supposed to be a stocked trout pond in Appleton, but I have never seen a trout from it. I remember tons of baby bullheads.
http://www.appletonparka...morial-park-pond-fishing

There used to be trout that are stocked in the ponds in Oshkosh. I remember seeing a bunch when they first stocked it, but recall seeing many dead around the shoreline after a few weeks. https://www.co.winnebago.wi.us/parks

Appleton area is best for warm water species:
Try the Fox River. There are many access points. Just look on google maps for a park.
Try the lighthouse in Neenah at Riverside park.
Try Theda Clark Hospital
Try the dam in Menasha. My dad is there every morning between 5am-7am. Water is about waist high and you can wade across, but be very very careful as the current is really strong.
Skimmer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:03:57 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

I'm very familiar with the DNR stream and easement maps, but lets be honest sorting through that, then driving an hour only to find the class one stream with an easement is an over grown unfishable trickle sucks! Thanks to everyone that PMd me I have a little bit of a plan. Lucky for me I'm headed to the Driftless this weekend, then exploring this area next week.sounds like some decent water 45mins west of here!

Edited by user Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:06:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

vmthtr in Green Bay  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 15, 2016 7:23:20 AM(UTC)
vmthtr in Green Bay

Get my PM?