Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:21:59 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Recently I broke my five weight-I wish I could say that I hooked a big pike and he overpowered the rod, but the truth is I had the rod uncased in the back of my car, resting against the wheel well so the dog wouldn't step on it and gravity caused it to slide out just as I was closing the hatch-and I'm in the market for a replacement. It was a 20+ year old St. Croix, so it was functional but nothing spectacular. I should mention that a five weight for me is kind of an all purpose rod. My eight weight is used for bass bugs, mousing or throwing bombers at night for browns and on those rare occasions when I go after muskies or pike; the two weight is what I use for bluegills and small stream trout. The five weight gets used for just about everything else: white bass, crappies, stream smallmouth and trout on larger streams.

I've looked into some TFO rods; the Clouser kind of stands out for what I do. Anyone have any experience with it, good or bad? Redington too seems to make good quality-per-dollar rods; any thoughts regarding Redington?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:31:13 AM(UTC)
DanE

I've found the Yellowstone Anglers "shootouts" helpful when picking both my 4 wt and 8wt. Here are links to their 2016 and 2015 for the 5wt. You may even find a discontinued version from the 2015 for a good price on e-bay or other online outlets.

http://www.yellowstonean...age-bolt-loop-optistream

http://www.yellowstonean...dyzenith-loop-optistream
Pete  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:13:36 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
DanE wrote:
I've found the Yellowstone Anglers "shootouts" helpful when picking both my 4 wt and 8wt. Here are links to their 2016 and 2015 for the 5wt. You may even find a discontinued version from the 2015 for a good price on e-bay or other online outlets.

http://www.yellowstonean...age-bolt-loop-optistream

http://www.yellowstonean...dyzenith-loop-optistream

That helps. It's a good starting point. I found a local place with Redington Vapens on sale for $200, which is a nice discount, but they don't rate all that highly in the shootout; I'll look elsewhere for a start. Such as the Echo Carbon. If I were to get that, I'd have some money left over for spun deer hair flies, better waders, gasoline, etc.

Whatever I decide, I won't pull the trigger until I've casted it with my SA System 2 and Triangle Taper to see how it casts in the real world.
DanE  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:00:57 AM(UTC)
DanE

For what it's worth I would give the Fenwick Aetos a try. I tried that one based on their 5wt review of it being the best inexpensive rod in the test, at an MSRP of $189.99. I bought it in 4wt for $126 off of e-bay and absolutely love it. I figured I could risk buying it without casting at that price. It comes with a nice sleeve and case, and a lifetime warranty. I am very impressed with the quality of the rod and would pay full retail in a minute if it were the only option.
trapper  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:29:54 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
If the 5wt in an Echo Base is half as good as the 4wt,I'd buy it at under $100
Get Reel
DanE  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:27:56 PM(UTC)
DanE

So there you have it. If you want fast action, get the Aetos, if you want something a bit more moderate, get the Echo Base. Laugh
brun0306  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:54:26 PM(UTC)
brun0306

I got a Douglas DXF 5 weight last year based on the Yellowstone angler shootout . I love the rod, it's definitely fast action, but has great feel as well
OTC_MN  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 9:19:41 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I am really, really liking my Diamondback Flex. 9', Mod-fast which I prefer to fast actions, and just an all around fun rod to use.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
EddieRivard  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 10:40:33 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
About a month ago I purchased a Cabelas TQR 7'6" Five weight. TQR stands for tight quarters rod. At 120 dollars the rod has exceeded all of my expectations. I've used it to catch fish on dries as well as heavy streamers and nymphs. I just wanted a shorter rod with a little more backbone and ability to cast large files longer distances than my 7'6" four weight without sacrificing performance in close quarters combat. The proof is in the pudding. In my hands the TQR is a deadly weapon.
Skimmer  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 8:39:13 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a Redington Hydrogen, so far I'm liking it, I fished the Echo Carbon in Idaho back in March and loved that rod.