Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zugbug  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:29:51 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
DanE wrote:
I've found the Yellowstone Anglers "shootouts" helpful when picking both my 4 wt and 8wt. Here are links to their 2016 and 2015 for the 5wt. You may even find a discontinued version from the 2015 for a good price on e-bay or other online outlets.

http://www.yellowstonean...age-bolt-loop-optistream

http://www.yellowstonean...dyzenith-loop-optistream

The Yellowstone Angler Shootout is certainly helpful when shopping for a fly rod, but I wouldn't use it as the only criterion. I've noticed that in the past, a particular rod that is highly rated in one year may be way down the list a year or two later.
DanE  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 7:40:45 AM(UTC)
DanE

I never use a single point of reference when doing research. However if it finishes well in multiple years, or you find good press elsewhere also, I usually will go with it. I bought my Aetos largely based on their review and love it. I also bought a TFO BVK 8wt based on it finishing well in multiple years of their 8wt challenge and it performs just as well as the advertised.
TheDancingMan  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:26:01 AM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Sage Mod. Can't beat it's soft touch, mending ability, and moderate action. The Yellowstone Angler didn't like it but they favor fast action rods only.
kschaefer3  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:02:00 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

TheDancingMan wrote:
Sage Mod. Can't beat it's soft touch, mending ability, and moderate action. The Yellowstone Angler didn't like it but they favor fast action rods only.

I have cast this in a 3, 4 and 5 wt. I thought the 4 was the best by far. The 5 was really nice too, but I favor my One in that weight. Really cool to see Sage actually doing something different though.
OTC_MN  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:30:15 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 17 post(s)
TheDancingMan wrote:
The Yellowstone Angler didn't like it but they favor fast action rods only.

There does seem to be a segment of the population that is really focused on 'fast is good.' I think fast rods do have their place, and there's no doubt they reward good casters, but I think mod-fast rods are a lot more forgiving and versatile. I have casted a couple fast rods that were great if you were casting 60-80 feet, but hard to control if you were casting 30. I own one that's great if you're casting a big bushy dry a long ways, but it's a nightmare with an indicator and tandem nymph rig - at least with my wristy, sloppy, utterly pedestrian casting skills.

All comes down to personal preference really. As always. But I do prefer mod-fast personally.

Part of me thinks the glass renaissance is a little bit of a backlash against faster and faster rods too.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
TheFadingAngler  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 2:15:15 PM(UTC)
TheFadingAngler

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
TheDancingMan wrote:

I admire the Yellowstone Angler owners and staff for the work that does into their reviews. But, like the man said, they really seem to favor the fast-action stuff with delicate tip sections. I tried the Sage MOD 5 wt at Headhunters in Craig, MT last summer and loved it. But $850? Confused Crying ThumbDown If the price tag had been 25% lower, it would be in my Armoury right now. I definitely appreciate a moderate rod. It matches my timing (or complete lack thereof) much better.