Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
IA_Guy  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 1:38:16 PM(UTC)
IA_Guy

Man

AutobotTrainer wrote:
Coldstream Creek (it's actual name before Clark McLeod bought naming rights) is fed by a genuine cold spring source.

I've seen this mentioned a few times over the years. I understand where you'd think that's the case, but having done a bit of research on the place (and Cedar Rapids in general) I can tell you that 'McLouds Run' has been the name associated with the place since at least the early 1900s. I believe I've seen it on a map dating back to 1895.

You can see it here, dated 1912.

http://digital.lib.uiowa...n/sheetmaps/id/74/rec/47

So it doesn't have anything to do with naming rights or Clark McLeod.

I am away from my research, but I do believe it was named after a farmer who built an early grist mill on the creek. Other stories relate that in the earliest days of Cedar Rapids that at least one group of our local indian population peacefully wintered on the creek, even after the city began to grow.

Anyway. It is a tough creek to see each day. Full of litter from the interstate. Trashed by those who don't know or care about its significance. Overall, though, I love to think of how many folks have caught fish on it's banks over the years as I stand there are do some of that myself.