Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2016 7:56:10 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I just got back from a forest preserve lake down the street from me. I went out after sunset but before it was completely dark; to put it in perspective, I missed the second period of the Sharks v. Penguins game, but was back in time for the start of the third.

I'd fished here over the weekend, but was after bluegills with the two weight and a foam hopper. A bass of about 16 inches hit it too; the only reason he was landed was because he beached himself-otherwise, I'd have had no chance. But there were some seemingly large fish busting small bluegills and minnows near a beaver house. Probably bass, but possibly channel cats or maybe even a walleye or pike. I came back tonight with more appropriate equipment: an eight weight and a Dahlberg Diver. I can now say with certainty it had been bass on the hunt. 10 surface strikes in 15 casts; only four fish hooked and two landed, but they were feeding aggressively. If I can't get to a trout stream, bass do a fine job of occupying that dead time.
Sponsor
MNFishhunter  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:04:53 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

Smallies and white bass are everywhere in my neck of the woods. I know it's heresy on this board, but I love the smallies more than trout this time of year.
http://onafly.blogspot.com/2016/06/frenzy-bass-blitzing-minnows-and-i-was.html

Edited by user Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:06:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified