Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 11:00:58 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The first 90 degree day is forecast for this weekend, signaling the unofficial start of summertime fishing conditions on Driftless Area streams.

This leaves the traveling Trout fisherman with three options:
1) get up ungodly early to fish in the cooler morning air
2) wait until early evening and try to find the fish before the sun goes down
3) gut it out during the mid-day sun and try to find some shady spots with active fish

Early seems like the likelier choice for me, especially with my long drive to the DA (from Milwaukee). Beat the traffic, get there before the sun and the other fishermen. But often I find the fish just aren't that active during the morning hours. Mid-day can be brutal, wading through high weeds, bugs and pools of sweat building up in the waders. Evening usually brings calm winds, but is also when the mosquitoes really start to swarm. Plus, driving home at night after a hot, exhausting afternoon/evening isn't all that much fun.

Ideally the best solution is to stay overnight (or for a couple days) and fish when the opportunities and weather is best. But by this time of year, time and money are in short supply, so that option isn't always available.

What time of day do you prefer to fish the Driftless Area streams in the summertime?

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
TylerM  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 11:48:40 AM(UTC)
TylerM

Whenever the fish are biting Razz

For me, I only get out a few times a year, and they are all day trips. As a result, I'll fish early morning and mid-day before heading back to the Milwaukee area in the evening. That is what I have done in the past, and what I''ll do on Friday. I have not done an overnight trip yet, but I really should get one on the calendar.
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard
MN Mountain Man  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 5:10:32 PM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I live close enough to a number of good streams Flapper so I can pick and choose. I fish a lot in the evenings after work but on the weekends I fish all day for at least one day. On really hot days I try to focus on streams and areas with higher concentrations of springs and I usually find 'em feeding all day. On the hottest of days I do notice that fish in shaded sections of stream are more active thought. My favorite fishing is with big hoppers on hot, breezy days in August.

Also I wet wade exclusively from late spring into late fall. Usually the first few outings get a little chilly but by mid summer the sweat doesn't pool in my waders. I've worn neoprenes a little late into the spring though and that feeling sucks for sure!

Bill, have you ever considered wet wading? I use an old pair of shoes and some old pants but they make really nice wading shoes and quick dry pants that I've been considering.
EddieRivard  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2016 7:52:09 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I haven't worn waders in over a month. Wet wading is the new black.
s.t.fanatic  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 5:42:51 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
wet wading is the only way to go once air temps are above 70.
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:22:58 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
MN Mountain Man wrote:
Bill, have you ever considered wet wading? I use an old pair of shoes and some old pants but they make really nice wading shoes and quick dry pants that I've been considering.

During my last outing with FryinPanDan I did a little inadvertent wet wading when I fell in and filled my waders. RollEyes

I prefer to keep the waders on during the summer. They protect my legs when walking through brush and the nettles. Also, the water can be a little funky with cow manure and stinking mud. That's a funk that rides with me all the way home. Ticks are also a concern.

I have several pair of quick dry nylon pants that I bought from REI. I highly recommend them. Besides drying quickly, they're cooler than cotton and wear like iron.

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, June 7, 2016 6:23:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:02:00 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Another option is to find good shallow running smallmouth water--I wish there were more of it around.

I wet waded back in mid-April when it was in the 70's. That's the earliest I've done that and it only happened because of a hole in my waders and realizing it felt nice on the feet.

I typically wet wade from May-September. I find it more comfortable and safer if I fall into a hole.

It's also enjoyable to have it 80-some degrees but be standing in 50ish degree water for a nice contrast.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 10:39:44 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Wet wading all the way... As others have stated, much safer assuming hypothermia isn't a concern.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
West Branch  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:07:27 PM(UTC)
West Branch

Evening hours are my favorite time for summer fishing. I can spend the day doing what needs to be done and hit the stream at 4:00 or so and still have several hours to fish. Last night I gave up a few minutes before 9:00 when the hatch activity slowed down. Since there is often some sort of hatch going on late in the day, it seems like a good time to be on the stream. If I'm on a familiar stream that has some pasture sections for a back cast, I'll keep fishing in the dark for awhile.

When the days start to shorten again, the hoppers are out and some of the larger fish lay in wait for a meal to hit the water. Fishing in the middle of the day in August can be pretty decent if you don't mind the high weeds, bugs, and humidity. There are also some summer mayfly hatches that come off in the afternoon on some streams. One section of a stream I know has heavy hatches of Ephoron Leukon that sometimes come at mid-afternoon in August. Hitting a blanket hatch of white mayflies just right is quite an experience. What seemed like a worthless stream at noon suddenly has trout everywhere. Knowing which streams have what hatches, and when, helps me decide where to fish and what time might be best.

Summer heat can be tough, but fish are rising somewhere just about every day.
shebs  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:24:14 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Another tip is to fish stained/dirty water if you insist on fishing mid-day in the summer. Biggest driftless brown I ever caught came at 3 pm on a cloudless day in July. Recent rains had the stream visibility down to about 6 inches, so the fish didn't seem to notice or care that it was a 'bad day for trout fishing.'

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"