Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TedderX  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 4:39:24 PM(UTC)
TedderX

These belong to my father. Can anyone tell me anything about them?

The black one only says "fly box" the silver says "#66" and "Perrine".

The only fly boxes I can find now-a-days are the cheap plastic kind with foam inserts. Thanks fellas!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Skimmer  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 7:30:28 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I use the Perrine boxes and like then quite a bit. They were made up until the 80s.
OTC_MN  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:44:24 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Perrine fly boxes were made from the early part of the last century up to the 80s or so. You can find magazine ads for them from the 1930s. They were kind of part of the wave of fly fishing gear that came about post-war with the advent of glass rods and nylon line. Perrine also used to make automatic fly reels, which were at one time a lot more popular than single action reels, for who knows what reason.

Perrine boxes are absolutely indestructable, and Perrine #66 spring hook holders actually work really well for nymphs and wet flies. I have one that was my grandfather's that he took with him to Montana during the summer in the late 1940s and 1950s. He was a college professor and fishing nut who packed up his family every summer to go work at the park in East Yellowstone so he could fish trout all summer. (Wish my dad would have followed his father-in-law's lead...but nope. Dairy farmer. Anyhow...) It's one of my prized possessions and on display, along with some of his flies, but it'd still be very functional if I chose to use it. I also have a Perrine #91 I got when I first started getting into fly fishing,which would have bene in the early 1980s - a gift from my grandfather. The #91 has one side that is half clips and have spring coils, and covered compartments on the other. Still a dang good box actually although I don't use it a lot these days. They made serval models with various configurations of clips, coils and covered compartments in a couple different sizes.

Perrine boxes don't have the cachet of a Wheately, but they are still a classic everyman's fly box.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:45:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
TedderX  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 2:03:36 PM(UTC)
TedderX

Why do you say they work really well for nymphs and wet flies?

Why not other flies?
OTC_MN  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:23:45 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
TedderX wrote:
Why do you say they work really well for nymphs and wet flies?

Why not other flies?

They hold the flies pretty flat and there's no real space for hackles, so they tend to smoosh the hackles on dries.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown