Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jumpsuit  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 5:00:44 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
With the lower temperatures and scattered clouds/ storms forecasted for today, I took it as an opportunity to be out before the dog days of sweltering summer heat kicks in. With the recent rains this past weekend, I took a chance starting my morning at a stream with a larger watershed then some of the other spring fed streams. I was willing to take the risk it would be dirtier since even though it's a put and take, it has a strong population of Browns and I've had good days in stained water there before. The drive down into the valley at 5 AM was beautiful before the walk in.

UserPostedImage

Sure enough, the water was dirty but the Browns were active if you could get something in front of them and slow it down enough. Lots of small 9-12 inch fish but I did get one 14.5-15 incer that had darker colors and looked like he was forming a kype too. Only after I released him I noticed my phone had morning dew on the camera, hence the bad picture. As I hiked, herons, does, and fawns were all out in the woods early. It was a good start to the morning other then walking through grass up to my head.

UserPostedImage

The next stream was small water that definitely counts as technical. Logjams, beaver dams, brush and overhanging trees punish any lazy cast you don't diligently manage. The pools and runs plunge deep then vanish only a few feet downstream. Once again, the grass was up to my chest or neck most of the way I walked. After a series of meager browns, I placed a cast in a deep pool right under a tree root going into the water.One of those "that must have a giant under it" holes. I placed a cast along the current and a 16-19 incher tattooed my spinner. I had him at my feet when I made the mistake of moving my rod from a sideways angle keeping the pressure to holding it straight at the fish like you would pulling your lure out of a snag. Yep, rookie mistake, he shook free. After calming down, I kept fishing and placed a cast into a fast riffle with a deep rock plunge. I saw the gold and red of the brown as she slammed my spinner. I fumbled around like an idiot as I did something that resembled a net job. I'm still getting used to pulling the net off my back while landing fish. Nice fish just short of 17 inches. I noticed a some slight bleeding but she swam off with a vengeance so hopefully no damage. I've been debating on experimenting with single hook spinners and think I'm gonna try some.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The next few hours were spent driving, knocking on doors, and more driving. After finally getting permission to some water that a fellow trout angler owned, I started working on a new stream. Water was clouded but fishable. The weeds were still bad and the bushwacking continued. I fell back into my old habits of using my rod as a machete and a walking stick for getting up muddy banks. I pulled a few fingerling browns out right away to ease any doubts of the steam containing trout. The stream has numerous springs coming in as well as a really good rock and gravel bottom composition. Before leaving I hit one last long pool pushing aside more grass and stinging nettle from my face. Second cast a bright colored and violent 17-18 inch Brown smashes, but as I'm fumbling around pulls loose. I kept at it for one more pool, and right away had a smash in fast riffles of the pool. As I went down to net the Brown, I slip on my ass, fall into the stream and drop my rod, but still manage to net the fish in the act. I then did something that resembled doing the worm on my back, as I crawled back onto the shoreline with fish in net. Really pretty 17 incher. Took some fast pics and got the fish back asap. At least I got more practice netting this trip, so when I do finally do get that 22 incher in about 20 years I will be prepared.

UserPostedImage

Most of what the water looked like today:
UserPostedImage

By then it was midday and what was supposed to be overcast with periodic storms turned into blue skies and temps entering the 80's. I called it a day since I didn't want to handle any more fish in hotter weather. Bushwacking into unknown streams in the middle of June was definitly one of my bad ideas that seemed good before I thought it through, but I needed to get out. October can't get here soon enough.

Edited by user Monday, June 13, 2016 5:41:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
West Branch  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 9:54:44 AM(UTC)
West Branch

I must have fished farther to the south on Sunday. The stream I fished was only slightly off color until a herd of cows started to stir things up. During the summer the more "civilized" streams are on my list. By walking a bit I don't feel like I'm catching somebody's leftovers.

Looks like you picked up some nice fish. The most remarkable thing about the couple of dozen fish I managed on Sunday was how unremarkable they were. My buddy, on the other hand, landed a couple of jumbo sized browns.
EddieRivard  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:29:44 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Great report Jumpsuit! ThumpUp
Pete  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 1:59:37 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Nice fish. Sounds as if it was worth the effort of getting through the high grass and noxious plants.

It's been many years, but I think Blue Fox makes/made spinners with single hooks.
West Branch  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:03:44 PM(UTC)
West Branch

Since you're releasing fish, the single hook is a good idea. I t shouldn't be too hard to replace treble hooks with equal sized single hooks.

Keep showing us those wild Iowa browns. We'll look forward to seeing that 22" fish. It seems like you have a pretty good idea where to look!
big_river_bum  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 7:39:23 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
great post!

panther martin makes single hook spinners.

what size you using?
Jumpsuit  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:47:09 PM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks guys, one of these times I'll have to head up and stop at one of the gatherings.

West Branch I'm glad you guys had good luck Sunday getting away further. I know alot of times anglers have a tendency to fish the first looking good water they come across and avoid the extra walking when they can. It definitive pays off putting in the extra work trekking ahead, I'm with you there.

I looked at the Panther Martin Classic Single Hook spinners and they have some good go to colors available. Usually I use 1/4 and 3/8 oz but occasionally 1/8 oz too. Otherwise I might just adjust the hooks myself on some of my Blue Foxes or Mepps, I've done this on a few cranks and it's not too time consuming. I'll probably test them out on some stocker streams first and see how well they compare setting the hook, then go from there. My only selfish concern is fewer hookups, but to a point that still might be worth it. Even though it's inevitable to kill a few fish from them engulfing the lures, whatever small steps to limit the damage I'm down for.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:47:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AutobotTrainer  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 9:30:17 AM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Great report. I couldn't sleep this morning so I took a peek at some local streams...everything was super high and chocolate milk. Maybe on Friday I'll have better luck.
No thing created by man is infallible.
NBrevitz  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:38:06 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Awesome report, write up a few more!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."