Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanE  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 2:54:32 PM(UTC)
DanE

Since you are going with vehicle analogies, it's more like Chevy Truck vs. Ford Truck vs. Dodge Truck vs. Toyota Truck. You will have people argue all day long for one brand or the other, but they are all decent and have their own character. It will really come down to what action you prefer, and then you can start looking at rod brands at different price points. First learn to cast, then go out and try a bunch and see what works for you.

For instance, I have 2 Sage rods I really like (9wt & 6 wt), I have a TFO I like (8wt) I have a Fenwick I like (4wt), and I have a cheap Cabelas rod that I like (3wt). Each suits a different type of fishing and have a different feel, at very different price points. I have an inexpensive Cabelas 8wt that sucks compared to my Sage 9wt and TFO 8wt. I like my cheap cabelas 3wt as much as the more expensive rods I have cast at a fraction of the cost. Same goes for my 4wt Fenwick and my 8wt TFO, they are moderate priced rods that perform as well as many "big name" expensive rods at a fraction of the cost. I also have a couple rods that I am indifferent too or don't like, you just won't know until you learn to cast and try a bunch.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:03:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

AKinMN  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:27:54 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
TedderX wrote:
I agree with everyone's sentiment but I was looking at specific companies.

For example if I buy a Jeep Wrangler, I know it'll have better offroad performance than a Subaru Outback.

kschaefer3 wrote:
Quality is fairly subjective. Since I have a different view, I'll offer up my opinion.

I don't disagree that there are tons quality rods out there for a reasonable price (reasonable is also subjective). The St. Croix Imperial is a perfect example. I also believe that there is a pretty big difference between most $200 rods and most $800 rods. There are rods in the $200 rods that I think are exceptional, and some $800 rods that I think are trash, but for the most part, I think a person can tell the difference in quality between price points. Ultimately, it depends largely on what you are looking for out of a rod, how often you use it and how picky you are.

I suppose the best way to tell would be a blind test. Strip off any identifying marks and cast a bunch side by side. That would be interesting. Anyone want to organize it?

You really asked what companies are considered quality on a consistent basis. So an actual answer to your question. My lists would probably be considered on the higher end, and others may disagree or have a bunch more to add.

Rods:
Sage
Winston
Hardy
Scott
St. Croix

Reels:
Lamson
Ross
Tibor
Hatch

Thanks for your reply. Is Orvis and Reddington not considered all that grand? I assume they would be since you seem them often.

The Orvis Hydros 2 is one of the best fly rods made. I fished an 8 weight in AK last summer. While I've never fished one, their Recon rods has gotten very solid reviews since its debuted. They have really changed things up at Orvis lately.

I think the appropriate car analogy is a Honda Accord versus an S class Mercedes/7 series BMW.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 15, 2016 3:33:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kschaefer3  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:10:43 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

TedderX wrote:

For example if I buy a Jeep Wrangler, I know it'll have better offroad performance than a Subaru Outback.

kschaefer3 wrote:
Quality is fairly subjective. Since I have a different view, I'll offer up my opinion.

I don't disagree that there are tons quality rods out there for a reasonable price (reasonable is also subjective). The St. Croix Imperial is a perfect example. I also believe that there is a pretty big difference between most $200 rods and most $800 rods. There are rods in the $200 rods that I think are exceptional, and some $800 rods that I think are trash, but for the most part, I think a person can tell the difference in quality between price points. Ultimately, it depends largely on what you are looking for out of a rod, how often you use it and how picky you are.

I suppose the best way to tell would be a blind test. Strip off any identifying marks and cast a bunch side by side. That would be interesting. Anyone want to organize it?

You really asked what companies are considered quality on a consistent basis. So an actual answer to your question. My lists would probably be considered on the higher end, and others may disagree or have a bunch more to add.

Rods:
Sage
Winston
Hardy
Scott
St. Croix

Reels:
Lamson
Ross
Tibor
Hatch

Thanks for your reply. Is Orvis and Reddington not considered all that grand? I assume they would be since you seem them often.

Orvis has been good recently, just forgot that one. I've never been a huge fan of Redington, but a lot of folks like them a lot.
West Branch  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 5:53:01 PM(UTC)
West Branch

The rods and reels that kschaefer3 names would match anyone's list of fine fly tackle. Sometimes a less expensive rod can surprise you. I often fish with a guy who has been fly fishing for over forty years and has accumulated some pretty goods rods. Lately he has been favoring an Okuma 7' 4wt that cost under $75. True, he's broken two of them, but likes the feel of the rod well enough that he keeps buying them.

TedderX  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:31:05 PM(UTC)
TedderX

DanE wrote:
Since you are going with vehicle analogies, it's more like Chevy Truck vs. Ford Truck vs. Dodge Truck vs. Toyota Truck. You will have people argue all day long for one brand or the other, but they are all decent and have their own character. It will really come down to what action you prefer, and then you can start looking at rod brands at different price points. First learn to cast, then go out and try a bunch and see what works for you.

For instance, I have 2 Sage rods I really like (9wt & 6 wt), I have a TFO I like (8wt) I have a Fenwick I like (4wt), and I have a cheap Cabelas rod that I like (3wt). Each suits a different type of fishing and have a different feel, at very different price points. I have an inexpensive Cabelas 8wt that sucks compared to my Sage 9wt and TFO 8wt. I like my cheap cabelas 3wt as much as the more expensive rods I have cast at a fraction of the cost. Same goes for my 4wt Fenwick and my 8wt TFO, they are moderate priced rods that perform as well as many "big name" expensive rods at a fraction of the cost. I also have a couple rods that I am indifferent too or don't like, you just won't know until you learn to cast and try a bunch.

Nothing beats a Jeep. Period.

Except maybe a '79 F-150. Then maybe we can be friends. Lol
kschaefer3  
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:11:22 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

AKinMN wrote:
TedderX wrote:

kschaefer3 wrote:

Rods:
Sage
Winston
Hardy
Scott
St. Croix

Reels:
Lamson
Ross
Tibor
Hatch

The Orvis Hydros 2 is one of the best fly rods made. I fished an 8 weight in AK last summer. While I've never fished one, their Recon rods has gotten very solid reviews since its debuted. They have really changed things up at Orvis lately.

I think the appropriate car analogy is a Honda Accord versus an S class Mercedes/7 series BMW.

I need to get an H2 in my hand at some point. Only problem is I'll probably buy one then.

I have to agree that your car analogy is, well, more analogous.
MikeJuran  
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:16:15 AM(UTC)
MikeJuran

Man

kschaefer3 wrote:

I need to get an H2 in my hand at some point. Only problem is I'll probably buy one then.

I have to agree that your car analogy is, well, more analogous.

Fished with guide in CO last year and he had Hydros matched up with the Orvis super-fine hydros line .... fished dries with 5wt .... very nice feel to it for dries ...
Fly Me A River
Noctilio  
#18 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:16:46 AM(UTC)
Noctilio

Best rods and reels are certainly subjective. I’ve had the good fortune to have owned and the misfortune to have broken lots of gear. What happens next, I believe is what separates some companies from others. I can only talk about my experiences and others might have had different experiences from me which are certainly just as valid as mine. So, here it is.

Orvis: I have broken at least two Orvis rods and a reel. The company had amazing customer service and helped me out perfectly. Orvis has (or at least used to have) a 25 year warranty on their rods. This was never an issue nor did they question me about how long I had the rod. In general I don’t think you can go wrong with Orvis rods and reels. Other equipment should be evaluated separately.

Scott: One broken rod. They fixed my rod no problem. My Scott rod is one of their lower end rods but it’s the work horse of my stable. I grab it when I don’t know what to expect. The components are nothing special but it’s a solid rod. 0

Scientific Angler: One broken rod. This was a real surprise to me. S.A. replaced the rod no charge. This rod has Mostly plastic components. I use this rod from time to time, it has held up for years of intermittent use.

Thomas & Thomas: One broken rod. They require you to register your rod to use the warranty repair. You cannot transfer the registration. I gave them the serial number from my rod and they knew who I was. In any case, they fixed my rod but with a fee, I forget how much. This is a beautiful rod with high end components. Very fast action, very nice to cast.

LL Bean. I have had one rod and two reels broken. LL bean has amazing customer service and will accept all returns. However; I (and this is just my opinion) would stay away from their fishing gear as I find it low quality. The things that broke were not my fault, just bad equipment.

Redington: I broke one rod. They repaired my rod no problem, but this was before they were taken over by Sage(?) FYI I know they do not have warranties on their lower end rods. I love my 8wt Wayfarer travel rod it has good quality components. I use it for everything from large mouth to carp to stripers to salmon and steelhead. It’s a true go to rod.

Echo: I haven’t broken either of my Echo rods yet, but they have a lifetime warranty. I really like these rods. I think they have an amazing price/quality ratio. I really love the Echo glass 3wt I have, it is tons of fun and a great tool for relaxed fishing. My DecHogan spey rod is a good quality rod, my spey casting skill is definitely the limiting factor here…

In summary, check out the warranty information for any rod you buy. Most reputable companies are pretty good with warranties. The other thing to remember is not to lend me your rod.
kschaefer3  
#19 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:33:28 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Good call on T&T rods. Those are some really high end rods that I have heard nothing but rave reviews about.
TheDancingMan  
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:20:03 PM(UTC)
TheDancingMan

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Maybe you want to give this one a try.

http://www.hatchmag.com/...age-introduces-x/7713543