Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:45:29 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I go with Orvis due to the 25 year warranty.

My experience within the last year has been that line is a big factor unless the original line I had was just not very good.

I have a Clearwater 4 weight that was just fine, but upgraded the line and I feel like I'm casting a completely different rod.

I haven't tried any of the $800 models or whatever, but I don't feel a need to either, although I'm sure they're really great/light, etc. My thought is that if people fly fished with much heavier rods a long, long time ago, I don't need to spoil myself if what I have works just fine.

I try to simplify things though--simple tackle and simple function of fly rod--Does it cast? Yes. Have I caught fish with it? Yes. Done.

I've seen folks out on the D.A.'s spring creeks carrying 3 fly rods rods along the stream, I assume all for different functions--imo that's completely unnecessary.
Dullyouth  
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:25:14 AM(UTC)
Dullyouth

Just to add a bit more to the warranty tidbits already put forth:

St. Croix: Broken numerous tips on a low end Rio Santo (always my fault/negligence), as well as one on a high-end, discontinued Legenda Ultra (they're Legend Elite's now)-- Each and every time it was no questions asked new tip section to my door for $30. I kept the broken tips. Been very pleased with their easy going tip-replacement.

Redington: I just broke a 4wt crosswater (Their cheapest rod series)--They will replace it for $30 all said and done, but I have to ship my whole rod to them.

AirFlo line/Echo/Rajeff Sports companies: My only experience here is I had a brand new AirFlo line fail, the braid core peeled out of the actual line right in the prime handling zone, and I was pretty disappointed. An email or two were exchanged, and I'm getting a brand new line no questions asked, no charge, just had to ship my old one in.

cheers

Edited by user Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:26:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

kschaefer3  
#23 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:34:22 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Dullyouth wrote:
Just to add a bit more to the warranty tidbits already put forth:

St. Croix: Broken numerous tips on a low end Rio Santo (always my fault/negligence), as well as one on a high-end, discontinued Legenda Ultra (they're Legend Elite's now)-- Each and every time it was no questions asked new tip section to my door for $30. I kept the broken tips. Been very pleased with their easy going tip-replacement.

Redington: I just broke a 4wt crosswater (Their cheapest rod series)--They will replace it for $30 all said and done, but I have to ship my whole rod to them.

AirFlo line/Echo/Rajeff Sports companies: My only experience here is I had a brand new AirFlo line fail, the braid core peeled out of the actual line right in the prime handling zone, and I was pretty disappointed. An email or two were exchanged, and I'm getting a brand new line no questions asked, no charge, just had to ship my old one in.

cheers

Did the same with my old Rio Santo (RIP), and have sent back a half dozen or more Airflo lines with no questions asked, ever.
Dullyouth  
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:42:28 AM(UTC)
Dullyouth

Quote:
half dozen or more Airflo lines with no questions asked, ever.

EEEEE I hope this isn't a trend. I just want a functional line. Im 5wt less at the moment since im still waiting on it.
kschaefer3  
#25 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:10:41 PM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Dullyouth wrote:
Quote:
half dozen or more Airflo lines with no questions asked, ever.

EEEEE I hope this isn't a trend. I just want a functional line. Im 5wt less at the moment since im still waiting on it.

Not to worry, I'm just horrible on my lines. I switched to airflo because I was only getting 3 days of fishing out of the Rio lines I was using.