Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shebs  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 2:02:46 PM(UTC)
shebs

Headed up to the Tetons next week...anyone have any experience out there? I fished there a little bit 3 years ago (when I had no idea what I was doing...), but that was in August. From what I can gather, June in runoff season, so I might not be able to just fish the Snake near where I'm staying. Anyone have any advice for smaller water that might be fishable this time of year?
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
GreatPyrs  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:12:36 PM(UTC)
GreatPyrs

Check out the Bridger-Teton Forest south of Jackson. If the snow has dissipated a good bit, this place has more wilderness than Yellowstone itself!

Good luck!
I enjoy trout.They are never disappointing company. They like the things I like - clean mountain streams , swift moving water, wildness. - Henry Middleton
Skimmer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:20:15 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

I've fished the Idaho side of the mountains. Lots of fun, lots of water! Just pick a bridge and go. The Teton, The South Fork, Henry's Fork, Bitch Creek...it goes on and on! Beware you're venturing into serious fly fishing country!Flapper

Edited by user Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:20:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

IL.flyfisher  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 4:52:52 AM(UTC)
IL.flyfisher

I like the Gros Ventre outside of Jackson. Also the big and little Greys by Alpine.
NE IA Drifter  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 5:45:49 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

I don't know exactly but my take away from the maps and other forum comments is that that part of the Rockies (ie MT) didn't get the best snow pack this year. That may be better for your upcoming trip but check out the maps and flows to know for sure. Enjoy!
Zugbug  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 6:48:46 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Another possibility in the Jackson area is the Salt River. There are some public walk/wade access points., although it's a better float fishing River. Keep in mind that in Wyoming, land owner rights extend to the stream bed.
shebs  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 10:03:17 AM(UTC)
shebs

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I likely won't have the time to venture too far from the park, but I've mapped out a few small streams in the wilderness just in case the Snake in totally unmanageable. Apparently there are a few streams up in the wilderness that are scheduled for a rotenone treatment, so with a limit of 16 on brookies, maybe with some luck I can help out the fish and game dept and cook for the whole crew Drool
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Josey Wales  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 6:31:03 AM(UTC)
Josey Wales

Near Jackson, you should check out the Gros Ventre, as stated above, and also the Hoback and its tribs.

Have fun!
fish4life  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 8:56:59 AM(UTC)
fish4life

Flat river, and Pacific are great too
>>~}}}}}}'>
shebs  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 7:13:43 PM(UTC)
shebs

I'll make a full post this week sometime after I've unpacked and settled back in, but I had to share this 18 incher I found in the Snake on Friday BigGrin

UserPostedImage