Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trapper  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 9:44:09 AM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
all reports say great rod including Kirk Deeter
Get Reel
Sponsor
kschaefer3  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 9:47:53 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

I can't wait to get one in my hand!

I'm a little wary of all the early reviews. I have trouble believing those who tried them first (i.e. Have a relationship with Sage) are giving their unbiased opinion and not just trying to jerk Sage off to get more free stuff. Not saying he rod won't be excellent, but the reviews make it seem as though it is the most revolutionary thing in fly fishing.
Zugbug  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 10:19:51 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
There seems to be another revolution in fly rod technology about every 12 months or so. It's a wonder that we manage to catch anything using gear that's more than 5 years old.
Trouts  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2016 10:41:11 AM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm always leery of the new reviews of anything anymore let alone all the "greatest new technology" thing. It will be interesting to see how it casts, but advertising a crisper tip-top is not what I'm looking for in a taper unless I'm casting in the parking lot. Sounds like they took the Sage One and gave it a stiffer tip section.

Only time will tell, but I will be interesting to see how they cast. I'm not getting my hopes up to high. I was excited when they came out with the Circa and really expected to like it since I prefer slow action rods. The tip section was so stiff in that rod, it felt like they put a 6wt tip on a 4wt rod.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
tedwin183  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:43:26 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

I'm generally a big Sage guy, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm absolutely in love with my ONE, and just don't see how they could improve on it much. I haven't been a huge fan of their recent releases with the exception of the Pulse (great rod!). To me, "KonneticHD" just sounds like a reason to charge more $$$$. Will it be the first $1000 rod?
Zugbug  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:59:04 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
tedwin183 wrote:
I'm generally a big Sage guy, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm absolutely in love with my ONE, and just don't see how they could improve on it much. I haven't been a huge fan of their recent releases with the exception of the Pulse (great rod!). To me, "KonneticHD" just sounds like a reason to charge more $$$$. Will it be the first $1000 rod?

Tom Morgan has already broken that barrier, by $425. It does come with a really nice rod tube.
Guillermo  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 18, 2016 4:52:59 PM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
A mortgage payment for a fly rod? No thanks. Line up a 1000 dollar Sage against an old fiberglass rod on a driftless stream. Doubt it would catch you any more trout.
OTC_MN  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 6:06:46 AM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 29 post(s)
tedwin183 wrote:

Heh. That ceiling has been broken for quite a while. Several years ago a friend designed a carp rod for Orvis. Was all excited about it - until it came out with an $1800 price tag...Blink

I won't drop that kind of coin on a rod personally, but if having the latest and bestest is part of what makes it fun, more power to ya.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
kschaefer3  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 9:26:25 AM(UTC)
kschaefer3

Guillermo wrote:
A mortgage payment for a fly rod? No thanks. Line up a 1000 dollar Sage against an old fiberglass rod on a driftless stream. Doubt it would catch you any more trout.

So, you don't spend money on fishing related items that won't directly contribute to you catching more trout?
Guillermo  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 20, 2016 9:40:46 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 24 post(s)
kschaefer3 wrote:
Guillermo wrote:

So, you don't spend money on fishing related items that won't directly contribute to you catching more trout?

Sure I do...But not to the tune of spending a whole paycheck or two on them. Seems like the best fly fisherman I run into use pretty basic old fashioned gear and don't look like they just stepped out of an Orvis catalogue.