Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrianZ  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:45:48 AM(UTC)
BrianZ

Anybody been to the Whitewater River lately? I'll be down there over the 4th of July weekend and I'm wondering how the south branch is doing after the fish kill last year.
Sponsor
MN Mountain Man  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 11:49:29 AM(UTC)
MN Mountain Man

I haven't tried it this year but I was told by a buddy that they do not plan to restock browns in this section, rather they plan to let it repopulate naturally. I went there late last fall and found very few signs of life.

He also said that he saw a few small stocked rainbows but things don't sound too good. Of course he may be feeding me a line and the fishing could be awesome! I don't have first hand experience.
BrianZ  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 2:07:26 PM(UTC)
BrianZ

Was that just on the South branch? Or was it the entire river system? I know the Crystal Springs Hatchery is currently closed but I thought one in Lanesboro was supposed to take over the stocking.
MNFishhunter  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:09:32 PM(UTC)
MNFishhunter

Just the south branch. Fished it earlier in the year (February) and nothing lives there. Hopefully things are turning around since I fished it last.
NBrevitz  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:25:44 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
BrianZ wrote:
Anybody been to the Whitewater River lately? I'll be down there over the 4th of July weekend and I'm wondering how the south branch is doing after the fish kill last year.

S Br was barren, just a few stocker Rainbows, when I looked at it the day before opener. As a result, the entire system got absolutely hammered with pressure. Browns in that river have a tough life if they're close to the bridges.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
s.t.fanatic  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:51:11 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
There are fish to be caught in the "fish kill section". I have not fished it personally but have talked to someone that has a camper on Lloyds property that catches trout regularly with some being nice size. The fish are on the move constantly. Fish from up stream have moved down and fish have moved from down stream up. Is it what it once was? Not even close, but it is coming back.
BrianZ  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:40:13 PM(UTC)
BrianZ

Are they still stocking Rainbows in there? I know that Crystal Springs hatchery is currently closed but I heard one in Lanesboro was supposed to take over.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:56:23 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
BrianZ wrote:
Are they still stocking Rainbows in there? I know that Crystal Springs hatchery is currently closed but I heard one in Lanesboro was supposed to take over.

They get stocked in the main branch for sure. I was fishing the confluence area.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."