Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skiumah  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 6:53:30 AM(UTC)
skiumah

Went out to a small brookie stream in Pierce county yesterday for a few hours. Had a lot of action and landed a dozen or so in a little over 2 hours; largest was 11 1/4". Also found my first 'glory hole' as it were, landing fish on my first 4 casts and catching a total of 7 out of a single pool. Missed 3 or 4 hits there too. What fun that was.

However. I had an unexpected run in with a bull that cut my trip a bit shorter than I would have liked. I was surprised to see cattle in this stream, since the land I was on was marked as "DNR land or easement" on my map, and the river had HI work. I first noticed the bull walking towards me around a bend in the stream, and thought it was just a cow so I didn't worry about it. But when he saw me he made a low grunt and made a beeline towards me, and that's when I noticed the horns. I don't know if he was just curious or if he didn't like me there, but I crossed the river and took off down the opposite bank and luckily he didn't follow me across the stream.

How do you guys handle these encounters? Was I wrong to be worried about the bull being territorial? I've been around cows plenty while turkey hunting but a bull was new for me.
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 8:44:05 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
skiumah wrote:
Went out to a small brookie stream in Pierce county yesterday for a few hours. Had a lot of action and landed a dozen or so in a little over 2 hours; largest was 11 1/4". Also found my first 'glory hole' as it were, landing fish on my first 4 casts and catching a total of 7 out of a single pool. Missed 3 or 4 hits there too. What fun that was.

However. I had an unexpected run in with a bull that cut my trip a bit shorter than I would have liked. I was surprised to see cattle in this stream, since the land I was on was marked as "DNR land or easement" on my map, and the river had HI work. I first noticed the bull walking towards me around a bend in the stream, and thought it was just a cow so I didn't worry about it. But when he saw me he made a low grunt and made a beeline towards me, and that's when I noticed the horns. I don't know if he was just curious or if he didn't like me there, but I crossed the river and took off down the opposite bank and luckily he didn't follow me across the stream.

How do you guys handle these encounters? Was I wrong to be worried about the bull being territorial? I've been around cows plenty while turkey hunting but a bull was new for me.

Funny you mention that. I had a run in with a bull too yesterday. Fortunately he was on the other side of a fence, but he was pretty irritated. I think the warm weather makes them a bit testy.

Growing up on the farm, my uncle always said to avoid eye contact (never stare) and move away from any heifers that might be part of his harem. If they're snorting and tossing their head around, back off quickly. Brush or trees are good cover, as the bull won't attack blindly. Their vision isn't that good and if you can make yourself blend into the terrain, they may lose interest. Best advice is to never put yourself into a place or position where you might run into an angry bull.

UserPostedImage

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Trouts  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 11:05:55 AM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Its always wise to be safe when around bulls. Sounds like you did the right thing. Generally when you cross the stream like you did, they won't follow. You also need to be careful around cows with young calves. We used to have a cow that was mean as hell until her calf was almost a month old. She flat out would come at you if you even entered the pasture. As you noticed, you generally can tell when they aren't happy. Better to be safe than sorry. If they get you to the ground you are done.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 1:40:29 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
I just keep my distance and always watch the herds. If one cow in particular seeks you out, cross the stream in deeper water.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."