Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomles86  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 12:10:10 AM(UTC)
tomles86

Man

I recently purchased a Cabelas 3 forks 9 ft 2section 5wt rod(medium fast action) and prestige 3 plus reel. It comes with preloaded weight forward floating line and a 9 ft leader. I bought this because it was on sale for 40 dollars and I had a 30 dollar gift card(that and I can't fish the plover and prairie with a 9ft 9weight flyrod(TFO)....from my days chasing reds in Charleston, SC but that's a different story).

So today was the first time I've been able to fly fish for trout with an appropriately sized pole. I had a 2-hour window to drive from Wausau to Merrill and fish the Prairie. *Quick Equipment Check*--1 fly rod and reel--1 black ant fly/1 parachute Adams--1 net.

The first thing I noticed was how high the water was. I didn't care, after all, I had a pair of flip flops on... The perfect equipment to wade in. The second thing I noticed was that it was clear blue skies with the sun high overhead. So basically the best conditions for trout fishing :/ So I attempted to wade upstream, but with waist high water and strong currents I was fighting a losing battle and tried to fish downstream. I found a nice bend and some riffles and cast to them with no luck...I am assuming due to the amount of thrashing I was doing or the volume and level of the river....Either/Or.
I waded further downstream and lost sandal #1. I felt like that was a sign for me to call it quits when I saw some still water. In the shade just off the edge of the current was a medium sized pool not too deep with half of a small birch tree and branches hanging into the water. I made about a 25-foot cast right to the base of the tree and was having difficulting keeping my fly in the zone due to cross currents, even with mending the current was too quick.
After about the 3rd cast I finally got my line to stay still for a few moments, the fly sat there for about 8 seconds and finally a trout rose and smacked it hard... Only 1 of 2 things happened, either he missed it or I missed him. But I made 5 more casts with the PA and he took 1 more strike at it but no hookup. I switched to the Ant fly , I cast it back to him and got the line to sit again... Same thing, after about 8-10 seconds he pounds it but either hit it too hard or I'm just not fast enough with setting the hook but I was like a split second behind when he would hit it. I'm thinking it was a smaller trout maybe 6-8 inches but he hit it about 3 times. At that point I realized I had extended my fishing trip over my allotted time and started high tailing it back to my car.... loosing sandal #2. As I'm trying to exit the water, my ant fly gets caught in a tree and I lose that fly, thankfully it came in a 3 pack.

*Quick Inventory check*--Lost 1 black ant fly--Lost 2 sandals--Lost a decent amount of Pride.

Overall I had a lot of fun. For my first time out, I was pleased to locate at least 1 fish in a place I had never fished before, in less than stellar conditions. I was really pumped to see a trout rise to my fly. It's encouraging, now i just need to hook up with one. As soon as one bites, do you guys set the hook? Or do you wait a second and then set? I was always under the impression they would spit your lure out pretty quick if you didn't set it right away.

P.S. If you happen upon a North Face sandal that is bright blue and yellow you now know who is polluting the Prairie. If you find both sandals... Send me a PM and I'll take that person out for a day of fishing to my family's land which has access to an almost unreachable part of the Plover River and what is in my opinion, the best stretch of the Plover that few know about.

P.S.S If you happen to find a decent amount of pride..... leave it alone

Edited by user Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:30:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
HookJaw  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:24:18 AM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
tomles86 wrote:
I didn't care, after all, I had a pair of flip flops on... The perfect equipment to wade in.

Blink
You might want to reevaluate this.

Or, maybe not.
I've never fished the Prairie...there must not be any snappers.
Or barbed wire hidden in the creek.
Or nettles or poison ivy or wild parsnip on the banks.
Or...
LOL
Hell with it -- I will buy you a new pair of flip-flops and you can take me on the Plover!

Edited by user Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:33:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
big_river_bum  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 7:18:44 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
HookJaw wrote:
tomles86 wrote:
I didn't care, after all, I had a pair of flip flops on... The perfect equipment to wade in.

Blink
You might want to reevaluate this.

Or, maybe not.
I've never fished the Prairie...there must not be any snappers.
Or barbed wire hidden in the creek.
Or nettles or poison ivy or wild parsnip on the banks.
Or...
LOL
Hell with it -- I will buy you a new pair of flip-flops and you can take me on the Plover!

that snapper we saw Thursday was 2 feet across! I like to wet wade too. since I can't keep a pair of waders from leaking for more than a few months I get the protection of waders with the cooling effect of spring water up to my knees Flapper
tomles86  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 8:09:57 AM(UTC)
tomles86

Man

Yeah I know it's reckless, it's the same way I sliced my foot wide open on an oyster bed... Stupid thing didn't heal for 3 weeks. But i forgot to bring a pair of junky shoes so I just decided to go with what I had. I'm not too worried about a snapping turtle....until I'm missing a couple of toes.

SquareEgg  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:54:32 AM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
tomles86 wrote:

I was really pumped to see a trout rise to my fly. It's encouraging, now i just need to hook up with one. As soon as one bites, do you guys set the hook? Or do you wait a second and then set? I was always under the impression they would spit your lure out pretty quick if you didn't set it right away.

Set it right away. Though this is not to be confused with ripping the fly/line off the water with a crazy strong hook set every time you see a hit. Best to pick up the line as though you're going to pick up for another cast. Results will vary- You'll miss hook sets, fish will miss your fly, you may yank a fly out of a mouth or two...
Another variable that will have a large roll in you hook-up % is how the fish takes the dry fly. You'll have a more difficult time hooking up the trout sipping your size 20 Griffiths gnat than the overzealous brookie slamming your fly and taking it with him on his way down.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 3:45:14 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Wet wading is the way to go. I just wear sandals, you get decent ankle support (I played hockey for a bit so more than enough for me) and they're supposed to be able to get wet. Use a pair of shoes enough and they'll fall apart at the toe or heel. Plus you'll constantly need to retie them and they'll be filled with sand, muck and the creatures among them within an hour or two. I'll keep an old pair of sweatpants in my back vest pouch should the need for a hike through nettles show itself.
Also, while I don't flyfish that much, I think you'd catch a lot more fish if you started out nymphing. There's this fly called the Pink Squirrel, its pretty good, you should check it out.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
lightningo2  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:12:50 PM(UTC)
lightningo2

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tom Leslie...seems I know that name from somewhere???Wink ???!!! When do you expect your Monster Brookie back from the Taxidermy??
A friend and I recently tried to wade the East Branch of the Eau Claire, but we found the water to be the same...Very high and hard to navigate. Had to head further south to find fishable trout water. Waders are the way to go, especially around here in the land of nipple deep muck! You will go through a lot of sandals before Oct 15th. Maybe someday I will be able to fish with you on your grandmas land!Wink Cool.

P.S Shouldn't your sceenname be something like Epicdispatcher?????
tomles86  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 2, 2016 12:52:38 AM(UTC)
tomles86

Man

lightningo2 wrote:
Tom Leslie...seems I know that name from somewhere???Wink ???!!! When do you expect your Monster Brookie back from the Taxidermy??
A friend and I recently tried to wade the East Branch of the Eau Claire, but we found the water to be the same...Very high and hard to navigate. Had to head further south to find fishable trout water. Waders are the way to go, especially around here in the land of nipple deep muck! You will go through a lot of sandals before Oct 15th. Maybe someday I will be able to fish with you on your grandmas land!Wink Cool.

P.S Shouldn't your sceenname be something like Epicdispatcher?????

That Monster Brookie is already on the wall!!!! I have a gorgeous mount of the 15 incher next to a 21 incher on a nice piece of drift wood. I hate waders with a passion, i always seem to rip a pair or have leaks... I have just decided to go shorts and Keen sandals from now on. You can fish with me anytime Brandt! I found a couple of nice streams only 5 minutes from my house in the Town of Texas all Class 1 streams.. They are a lot of fun. I would have made my screen name Epicdispatcher but in 2 years id need to change it to EpicXrayTech. Ill send you a pm with my phone number so we can chase some tail (Trout tail)