Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
paul worsterberg of the deplacements  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 12:44:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
hi.

looking for some help/advice on fishing the lower Wisconsin river this weekend for smallies.

my hope is someone here can recommend a kayak rental company that will take me to the put-in and pick me up at the take-out. of course, I'd want the float to go though a good smallie habitat too.

thoughts??

if I can't get a kayak, any wading advice?

Thanks!

Edited by user Wednesday, July 6, 2016 12:49:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
DanE  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:27:55 PM(UTC)
DanE

Floating from Sauk City/Prairie du Sac area downstream is good smallie area. Where you have them take you out will partly depend on if you want a day trip or overnight. Below are a few places to check to see if they have availability, as you will likely need a reservation. There is a really good rock bar that crosses the river right at Blackhawk River Runs, and paddling up to fish it would be worthwhile. Craig, the fly fishing/general manager from Fontana in Madison guides for smallies on the river. He puts in at/near Blackhawk and floats it down to Ferry Bluff for a few hour guide trip. Based on conversations with him, I think he does well.

http://canoe-camping.com/contact/sauk-city/

http://www.saukprairie.c...ffview-canoe-rental-1700

http://www.blackhawkrive...com/oc/profile?g=1662626

Down by Lone Rock is another option. I have no intel on the fishing down there, but I imagine it is good.

http://carls.paddlin.com/

Edited by user Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:30:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

madguy30  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 5:34:06 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
DanE, any idea on the water levels currently, i.e. is it safe to even paddle?

I've been wanting to do similar.

I believe Blackhawk is the one that will drop your car off and leave it where you plan on getting out. $20/boat if you have your own.

I've thought about just having a friend do the same thing... figured I'd probably buy them a case of beer which is basically the same amount. :)
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:14:15 AM(UTC)

thanks a ton, DanE. your info should get me started. i'll call today to see if these places have availability. whenever i drive over the river, i see tons of folks in there so i'm keeping my fingers crossed on getting a rental.

any additional thoughts on kayak vs canoe? i'm fished from a yak once before but never from a canoe. i think having the option of an anchor might be nice--not sure if that would be available in a yak...
DanE  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:18:58 AM(UTC)
DanE

Mad Guy - Levels are slightly higher than summer normal, but still fine for paddling. The storms from Tuesday and today could affect it though, especially Tuesday's. Chances are that water from further north will be getting down here soon. I have always heard it takes a day for the water to get from the Dells Dam to the Prairie du Sac Dam, so it could be getting higher this weekend.Not sure if it will get so high as to be dangerous though. I have to run a few errands today so I will check the level when I am out and about. I have not canoed it in a long time, but blackhawk used to be the typical, leave your car at their place and they bus you back there. If I am around, I could do a shuttle too, as I have a trailer I use for my canoe.

Paul - I have an old beat up aluminum square back canoe. It fishes real well and is nice to be able to anchor. I have not fished that stretch of river, but I am guessing I would fish it by floating a while and then getting out and wade fishing it, as it is much easier to fish it effectively than anchoring and unanchoring all the time. That tactic is entirely dependent on water level though too. Canoe fishing is great if you have a stable canoe, not so much if you have one that is more tippy. You won't know that until you get into one of theirs. Mine is real wide and heavy, which makes it slower, but much better for fishing. I was in a lighter narrower one with FryingPan last fall, and it seemed like we were always going to tip over when he was flycasting.

Edited by user Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:26:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:51:15 AM(UTC)

thanks for all the advice, DanE. interesting to know about the water levels too. i called few places and they said they have a decent amount of kayaks available still. i'm going to keep an eye on the flow levels but would be interested to hear your first hand report of the levels.

i'll let you know how i did next week (provided the levels allow me to get on the water). otherwise, it's siesta time during the day and trout in the morning and evening.

another question if you have experience...i've only used a sit-in yak and never a sit on top. adivce on which i should use? i'll only be rolling with one fly rod and i'll be wearing a vest so no freefloating gear (except a water bottle).

thanks!
DanE  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 9:48:49 AM(UTC)
DanE

I've never fished out of a kayak, but I have paddled both kinds. The sit on top is easier to get in and out of, so if you plan to beach and fish frequently, it would be a good bet. You may get a little more wet in a sit on top, but I don't see that as a big deal in the summer. You also have many more options for positions to keep from getting stiff as you can hang your legs off the sides, etc. The sit on top ones that I have paddled seemed to be a bit more stable vs. the sit in, but that could just have been the ones that I tried for both kinds too.
DanE  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 9:57:19 AM(UTC)
DanE

Here are a couple of good links for flow data. The 1st is the USGS for Muscoda, downriver a little, but is nice as it give a decent graph showing what the river has done over a week period.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?05407000

The next is the flow at the dam in Prairie du Sac. In the USGS for Muscoda, you can see it shows at 8200 CFS and going down, while the dam upstream shows 6509 CFS, so the water levels are trending down at this point. Just note that can change quickly if there is a lot of water coming down from the north, especially if they have had large rains.

https://www.alliantenerg...nergy/FlowRate/index.htm

Last is some general information based on the flow level.

>20,000 cf/s there are NO sand bars to camp on, on a calm day we’ll put experienced paddlers in at Statz Boat Landing in Sauk City and we have overnight camping options in Boscobel. ALWAYS wear your life vest!

15,000-20,000 cf/s there are VERY limited sand bars to camp on, we recommend having experience at this water level, especailly if the wind is blowing. Most likely we’ll put you in at the Statz Boat Landing. ALWAYS wear your life vest!

10,000-15,000 cf/s there are limited sand bars available to camp on, you can’t be picky, if you find a sand bar — TAKE IT!

<10,000 cf/s and Life is Good!

3,500-8,000 cf/s are PERFECT conditions.
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:10:20 AM(UTC)
Ctrl_Alt_Dlt

St. Croix River is another great place for a drift boat for small mouths, northerns and muskies. Just got back from a 3 day canoe trip, but was baitcasting. Saw two drift boats with fly anglers.
DanE  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:42:23 AM(UTC)
DanE

Ctrl_Alt_Dlt wrote:
St. Croix River is another great place for a drift boat for small mouths, northerns and muskies. Just got back from a 3 day canoe trip, but was baitcasting. Saw two drift boats with fly anglers.

Hmm, that sounds interesting. Any good day trip sections up there?