Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 11:35:48 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Some time ago, I'd asked for advice on this forum about a new 5 weight to replace an old broken rod. I got plenty of good advice. In the end, I went with an Echo Carbon XL. I haven't used it all that much yet, primarily because most of my recent fishing has been focused on largemouth bass and I need an 8 weight to throw around the bass bugs. Also, when I got the 5 weight, I found out that my old SA System 2 did not fit: the reel feet would not attach properly. The reel is more than 20 years old and I was told that back then, universal fit wasn't as common; now just about any reel should fit any rod. I wound up getting an Echo Ion reel for the new rod and spooled it with a Wulff Triangle Taper. It roll casts very well and has handled some pretty big streamers. I'm happy with the distance and accuracy. Now I want to see how it handles some large fish. All I've really caught with it so far are some crappies and bluegills. The couple times I've been out for stream smallmouths, they haven't cooperated.
Sponsor