Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patsfan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:12:34 PM(UTC)
Patsfan

Was going to do a little exploring in southwest Dane County this weekend. Has anyone ever fished the spot where Kittleson Valley Creek merges with Gordon Creek just north of the HWY 39 and the East River Fork Road junction? I've had good luck throughout the Driftless area where two streams come together. Was wondering if this was a good junction. Thanks in advance.
tedwin183  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 10:53:13 PM(UTC)
tedwin183

Only one way to find out. BigGrin If you find it to be fishing poorly, there are pretty much no bad spots along both Gordon and Kittleson. Just be aware that some stretches of both have really high grass right now. Noseeums should be starting to wane a bit.
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 6:56:32 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've wondered about that also. I used to fish Gordon quite a bit, but the numbers really dropped off (for various reasons) over the last few years. But I've never fished below the Hwy A bridge. That used to be considered big Trout water in the past, but you need to watch the water temps this time of year, as the stream warms up easily the further down you go. I fished the easement section of Kittleson above the confluence with Gordon last year. Good looking water. I caught a couple of Browns, but there just weren't the numbers there. I suspect the fishing is better upstream along Hwy H.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
TylerM  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 12:44:46 PM(UTC)
TylerM

I haven't fished quite that far south. I fished below the Hwy A bridge on Gordon, but never went far enough south. I fished above the bridge this year, and saw a good number of fish in the crystal clear water.
Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of all.
- Yvon Chouinard
turbomike15  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 6:12:08 AM(UTC)
turbomike15

William Schlafer wrote:
I've wondered about that also. I used to fish Gordon quite a bit, but the numbers really dropped off (for various reasons) over the last few years. But I've never fished below the Hwy A bridge. That used to be considered big Trout water in the past, but you need to watch the water temps this time of year, as the stream warms up easily the further down you go. I fished the easement section of Kittleson above the confluence with Gordon last year. Good looking water. I caught a couple of Browns, but there just weren't the numbers there. I suspect the fishing is better upstream along Hwy H.

-Bill

Bill do you mind shedding light on the various reasons you speak of?

Thanks
Mike
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 18, 2016 9:16:40 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 10 post(s)
turbomike15 wrote:
William Schlafer wrote:

-Bill

Bill do you mind shedding light on the various reasons you speak of?

Thanks
Mike

Gordon was one of the first Trout streams I fished when I first picked up a fly rod. A lot of work has been done over the years to reduce streambank erosion, improve habitat and extensive Trout stocking has been done. I first fished it in 2010 & 2011. It fished quite well then and I recall catching good numbers of vigorous Brown Trout, despite my fumbling while learning the sport. Some big Trout were caught there (by others) during that time. The pasture/meadow was particularly good hopper fishing in the summer.

In 2012 there was a significant drought in SW Wisconsin and (from my perspective) the fishing dropped off there quite a bit. 2013 brought area-wide damaging floods, and then harsh winters in 2014 & 2015. The total effect of these events hit some area streams harder than others. I think Gordon and it's tribs were negatively affected. A good portion of the HR work was wiped out in the floods.

I've fished it a few times in the last couple seasons and only had modest results, despite good conditions. Some of the hot spots from earlier years seem lifeless now. Although I have talked to folks recently caught good numbers on the upper parts above East Sandy Rock Road and into German Valley Creek.

I'm pulling for Gordon Creek, as it's one of the closest Trout streams for me coming from Milwaukee that has significant easements.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos